Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not mine. One of my relatives is trying to sell me one. I found the pic on ebay, but it didn't say what model.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
It is a Gateway 'Astro'...

http://support.gateway.com/s/Astro/2800 ... 1101.shtml

The problem is without the numbers on the box that they are trying to sell you, there is no way of knowing which one (and exactly what shipped in the box)...

http://support.gateway.com/support/supi ... e=ast.html

If it is an 'Astro' at 400-500mghz with appx. 128 megs of RAM, then you are looking at a $25-$50 unit max (and that is being generous)...

In the last 2 months I have been given 2, 400mhz AMD K6-2 rigs, one at 350mhz, a laptop at 475mhz with 160 megs of RAM, and at least a half dozen lesser rigs...Total cost $0...I clean them out, load a flavour of Linux and give them to people that just want a cruising surfer...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of laptops do you have? Would you be willing to sell me a basic internet surfer?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Sorry...The Compaq Presario I had (it was a 12XL-104) has already gone to a nice lady up the hill who never had a computer before...I loaded that one with Simply Mepis (a free Linux version) as it was the only one that would recognize the Wireless PCMCIA card that I had for it...She connects to my DSL as I have plenty of bandwidth and she doesn't even have a phone...

I just saw an Astro on eBay for $.99...Only thing 'wrong' is that it needs a hard drive and those are dirt cheap...

If you are the ambitious type, you can build one (a fairly good one) from a bare-bones kit for around $100 from Tiger Direct...

In the city (about 20 miles for me) there is a 'recycle' place where I can get almost anything I need to fill out the rigs I get...Network cards, sound cards, video cards are a buck...Cases with a power supply are $5-$10 depending on size and quality, 17" CRT monitors are $2.50, etc...Is there a place like that near you?

Are you near a college town?...I drive through the college 'appartment' streets and the dorm areas just as they leave for summer break...I got 10 workable machines last year...I have a list of people that need rigs and as the stuff comes in it is basically spoken for...

The only thing I have right now is a P1 166mhz with 32 megs of EDO RAM...It has WIN95 in it and would not be worth the shipping cost...

Your best bet is to find something locally...

That Astro will work well if all you want to do is surf, but you are limited to what is inside it...They are a beast to upgrade as they need to be disassembled...The only thing with an access door is the hard-drive...You are also limited to the phone modem and would have to jack into the USB ports to connect to a router or wireless access...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for helping me find out what model the Gateway was. I don't think I will be buying it. I will probably pick up a reasonably priced Dell latitude locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.