Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8) :hat :smokin Hi everyone! Im new to shotguning and want to buy my first shotgun. The problem is that my funds are limited ($375) and choosing between the Rem 870 Super Mag, the Benelli Nova, or the Charles Daly Field Hunter. I know that Semi-Autos are generally better (especially for a beginer like me). If you can give me some advice to help me make up my mind I would really apreciate it. I know that what you want to do with the gun is generally what helps you choose so for now i need the gun to be my duck hunting and clay shooting gun. But i also want it to be a very versitle gun in case i want to use it for something else. Thanks,

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome,Out of those guns the 870 is a great deal. It is proven and easy to modify. If you want more bang for your buck go to a gun show and buy a used gun. I picked up a High Standard auto for $100. That was a hell of a deal, but you can get autos for $150 - $200. Don't be afraid of a used gun, look it over, cycle the action and ask alot of questions and you should be ok. For that kind of money you can aford to have a gunsmith look it over or get some accessories. I bought a Hi-Viz sight for mine.Happy Shooting Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree with GS buying used is a totaly acceptable idea for a first gun. If you really want a good semi-auto for $375 or under I would say the Baikal MP 153 is the one to get. It shoots most low power 2-3/4" to the biggest 3-1/2" and is vrey reliable. If you want a pump then the two you said are good guns and there is the Mossberg or the Winchester also. With the pumps that is up to you to find a gun that fits you. They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts