Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my first Browning BPS when I was in Junior High in the Mid-80's as a Christmas gift from my father. It is a 12 gauge w/ a 28" barrel. I believe my dad bought it through Service Merchandise, back in the day when catalog stores still carried firearms. I still cherish the gun because my dad gave it to me...

I do not consider myself an avid shot-gunner, since most of my shooting is done with rifles and pistols. However, the hunting laws in my area do require the use of shotguns for deer and I do also hunt ducks quite a bit. For this task, I have always gravitated towards one of my several Ithaca Model 37's.

Well, I recently took up hunting grouse and pheasants. I have been using an Ithaca 20 gauge Ultra-Light Model 37, but my wife wanted to buy me a new gun for my birthday. I decided that I'd like something chambered in 28 gauge and I do prefer pump shotguns over autos. So my choice was between the Remington 870 or the Browning BPS. I chose the Browning w/ a 26" barrel because the fit and finish seemed to be better than that of the Remington. I also like the bottom eject; I guess it's the most like my beloved Ithacas. I have nothing against Remington and I actually love their Model 700 rifles, but the Browning BPS is a work of art.

I have had a few opportunities to use the gun in the field and this Browning is an absolute joy to hunt with. I have rediscovered my love for the Browning BPS... Maybe my 12 gauge BPS will make the trip into the woods for deer this year, instead of the Ithaca!

·
Registered
959 Posts
The BPS is a good gun, and one of the better values on the market today. I have a 28" 28ga, and just picked up a 26" 16ga with straight stock. They're not lightweights, but are well finished guns and have a smooth action after putting a couple hundred rounds through them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I really like my BPS. I've shot a couple hundred rounds out the one I got last christmas so far, and it's still like a brand new one. My dad also has one he turkey hunts with. It's looks exactly the same as mine, except his is made in 84 and mine's brand new (you couldn't tell the difference between them, though). Smooth as silk and is easy to get used to IMO. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I've been thinking about getting into duck hunting...I couldn't think of a better gun.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts