Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went duck hunting today and got a beautiful drake gadwall (my dogs first one) that I'll be taking to the taxidermist but abit later I called a flock of mallards in but there was a drake mallard that had a cream colored body and a rusty-brown head.
I was so shocked by what I saw that when I rised to shoot I had forgot to take my safety off and by the time I had fumbled around with safety they were out of range but I'll never forget that one mallard (it wasn't a redhead) it had a cream colored body and a rusty-brown head. Have any of you seen anything like that before?
Thanks.

· Premium Member
2,624 Posts
You should have hollered "Aflack!"

Yep, sounds like a domestic quacker cross.

· Registered
3,285 Posts
There is a thread on that other site that I am not supposed to talk about ;) right now...

They are calling this a 'Blonde Mallard' and it does not sound like a 'cross' but more a natural 'colour phase'...Like a Blue Goose being a sub of Snowies and a Cinnamon coloured (phase) Black Bear...

Dunno...We never seem to get the weirdo waterfowl here...Just the normal stuff...

· Registered
146 Posts
I too have seen these crosses, and shot one in Lake Macatawa in Holland, MI- they are different looking. Last year I shot a black/mallard cross. I know this because I have been sending in my duck wings and goose feathers into the USFWS for a few years now. They send me a printout of the species and age of the ducks/geese I sent in last season. They even send me all the postage-paid envelopes and everything- it a neat deal. Does anyone else do this? They must have drawn my name after I sent in legband and collar info...

· Registered
1,230 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.