Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think iI want a new reloader. Or I my keep the one I have. Its a Mec 9000GN. It works ok but I would like a reloader with a better primer feed and one that hold the hulls a little better when reloading.
Like I said I think I want one. I'll make a pole and see what happens.

1. Mec 9000GN Keep it
2. RCBS Grand
3. PW 800+
4. Spolar Gold

·
Registered
864 Posts
Stick with your 9000 and get the primer feed ajusted right. You will not be disapointed. When the MEC is set up correctly, it is hard to top them :)

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Suggestion... before you trade in your 9000GN, take a week - a whole week - to strip it down, clean it thoroughly, lube it according to the instructions, then reassemble and adjust each station - 1 through 6 - to your preferred load (or most often loaded load). Get the primer drop working perfectly, every time. Chances are that it's worn in, dirty or has gotten out of adjustment (or maybe wasn't really, really there in the first place) and just needs some care and maintenance. I'll bet that when you're done you'll be willing to give it a chance to load your next 10,000 shells before trading up. :wink:

Or just get the Spolar. 8)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The spolars are super nice, at the final station they do make a real nice end on the hull that would make it easier to cycle in an auto. My MEC doesn't do that. Also the primer feed vibrates a little bit and probably helps to get an even powder charge from hull to hull. BUT if it were me and my money I would spend time adjusting my MEC.

I have a MEC it is 7 years old I have added the new style primer feed to it. It did take a little to get it adjusted and they do have to be cleaned a lubed every so often. But to me the cost difference is worth it to stay with the MEC. I have tons of rounds through mine, once you learn the adjustments it isn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Heck, your itching for a new reloader. Go buy it. You want to get away from the MEC. I'll buy it from you. Seriously. All I have is MEC's. Be fair with me and I'll buy it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Kraiza, get yourself the 800+ and don't look back. I absolutely love mine. I load and load and load some more and nothing changes other than the day I was doing it.

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
Kraiza
All the loaders you have listed are good machines.
Pick one and use it.But here is what I have learned from this board.
If you can't adjust a Mec primer feeder and get it to work 100% of
the time you are going to have a devil of a time fine tuning the other 3.
The other 3 will load any shell you want to run through it,just not at
the same time.Run your AA's,tweak/adjust run the STS's.You get the
picture.My 9000 will run them all mixed up and they all look perfect.

Steve

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Being built like a tank, massive frame, weighing a ton, and costing Megabucks, doesn't necessarily guarantee trouble free operation. You still must understand them and be able to tweak their adjustments as needed, whenever they need it.

While MEC's arent built quite as massive, they are plenty sturdy to stand up to millions of reloads, and are probably the most adjustable machine on the planet. If you are so mechanically challenged that you cannot properly adjust and maintain a MEC, you won't do much better with any other machine.

MEC customer service is second to none, and replacement parts for them are reasonably priced and readily available from numerous dealers and supply stores.

Sitck with your 9000GN, learn how to properly adjust and maintain it, and you will be very glad you did.

DLM

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I had an 800, and while it is a very good machine, if there is a problem, getting the hulls out of the dies is a pita. Also, i prefer the design of the mec in that all the work is done on the down stroke, the up stroke just relocates everything. Not so on the pw, work is done with the down, and with the up. The wad goes in before the down, and the hull before the up... A good running pw is a great machine, i prefer the mec, it just seems like a more simple design. Its the little things like, if you have to remove the top, on the mec you don't have to drain the shot and powder, just be sure the little red stoppers are in tight, and tilt the bottles out of the way.

i did have issues with one brand of primers in my mec. Don't remember the brand unfortunately... I use Cheddites now, and a primer feed error is as rare as an honest politian. :roll:

All three machines have very knowledgeable people here on the forum who are always willing to lend a hand so that aspect is a toss up.

spoolar... everything i have heard about them is good. i have never seen one, but would like to.

if you have money to burn, send some my way, and stick with the mec.:D Other wise, Spoolar sounds interesting.

bd

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK guys I'll try some maintenance on the MEC. I guess after 20,000 reloads it time to do something. I guess I was luck and didn't relay have to work on it much.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kraiza said:
It works ok but I would like a reloader with a better primer feed and one that hold the hulls a little better when reloading. Like I said I think I want one.
Maybe try the new style MEC primer feed. I bought one for my 650, put it on, took just a little simple adjusting, very easy to understand, and away we went. It is smooth as butter, and has made a huge difference. It has a handle to loosen it and it lays flat for loading, tilt it up, tighten it back up and you've got 200 more primers ready to go. Found it ran out right about the same time as the powder bottle last night.

I've got an older style primer feed with the ball chain for sale if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the new style primer tray on my 9000GN. I took it apart clean up the tray put some dry lube on the parts and its working good again.
I just have to wait a split second so the primer don't bounce out of the base plate.
Now I can reload with tapping the primer try all the time.
Thanks guys
John

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Spolar absolutely will load different brands of hulls in the same run .

I've loaded heavy 1 1/8 th oz to light 7/8 oz loads and all I have to adjust is the depth of the different length wads .

Best loader I've had by a wide margin .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts