Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my son a O/U for christmas. I really didn`t put a cap on cost after thinking about it for a while. We have been to gander mountain and most any other store we can get to to let him shoulder a gun. I`m very partial to brownings and beretta`s but thats beside the point. He has only liked two guns that he has tried. He has been shooting long enough to tell me what is right or wrong for him. It has came down to a winchester energy with adj comb or a beretta onyx. With him favoring the winchester. I`m no engineer when it comes to O/U design but do know the proven design of the beretta. I`m somewhat still concerned about the winchester. Guess I`m asking for reassurances and I really have only read good reports on the energy. To my dismay I can`t talk him into a browning cynergy...my favorite. I`d PLEASE like to to hear from anyone on thier opinions on these guns. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The main thing I read there is, he has a favorite and until he pursues it and possibly learns differently (but doubtful), everything else will be in second place----my bet is there could have been an array of $10-20K guns there and his choice would have been no different.

How often has it been said here, "touch/feel/hold and shoulder all the guns you can, and pick the one that "feels" the best"?

The only other caveat I see here, is a gun will look or appear to look differently outside with unlimited background, than in the store. If someone has one that he could try, that would be my last pursuit before choosing that gun. If you had a laser to put in the gun to check POI, that might help as well but that is something reasonably easy to change.

I haven't heard/read anything against the gun either, you could drop down to the Winchester forum and read what has been said there, I remember nothing negative.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cbx, I may be 39 years old but still adoptable.......lol. I don't think I have read 1 negative post about the Winchester. Should be a memorable Chritmas for your family. Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
duxdog 1, don't hold your breath on being adopted by chris, if he adopts anyone I'm first in line. He's got more guns now than Carters little liver pills. :p :shock: :lol:

He don't just bring one gun when he comes to shoot, he's got a u-haul behind the truck just for the guns. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Eye, never hurts to bring a back up, or 10..................

·
Registered
402 Posts
Go for the one that feels right. If your son liked a Baikal and the decision was between that and the Beretta I might have a different opinion. I also am more in favor of Brownings, but I would not shy away from a Winnie like I would a low priced import. If it feels right and you are comfortable with the quality of the gun, then by all means get the Winnie.

JJ

·
Registered
205 Posts
well here is my opinion since you asked. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I read your post here is what I heard: I ( cbxchris) shall get a Browning Cynergy and a Winchester select. My son will use the win. and if he needs a backup for any reason we will have the cynergy, or what about that beretta I like so much!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a merry Christmass

Shoot a few befor you buy if you can

·
Registered
339 Posts
Chris, Take it from an old retired gunsmith they are a fine gun. I own one. They are built in true FN fashion. All parts nicely blued, polished, or chromed. Very clean trigger group and well thought out. Typical FN with the parts serial numbered. Gun locks up like a Beretta but also has a lower tang on the monoblock that locks into the bottom of the receiver that Beretta does not have!!! Also has an adjustment in the forend for how tight the front iron fits the receiver.

Keep it well lubed with some good Moly Paste or grease and your Son will enjoy it for many years.
Dave

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No this gun is for HIM. I already have two cynergy sportings set up for me a lefty...he shoots from the right. Still haven`t heard a thing negative. Actually he does like the checkering...must kinda be like his dad. I like the cynergy`s...some hate thier looks. :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts