Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love the sport of hunting, I have never understood why certain states allow certain firearms? OK, for instance, in Tennessee during black powder season, you can use a muzzleloader, archery, or a centerfire rifle, but will not allow you to use a single shot shotgun. Tennessee is not the only state that does this either. To me, it seems like using a muzzleloader, and a single shot shotgun would be the same thing, only the muzzleloader is a little more time to load. The only thing I really hunt with is a shotgun. I am looking at getting a muzleloader soon, but this has always baffled me, and I can't figure why states do this. It would be great if you could use Archery, Muzzleloader, centerfire rifles, and single shots during black powder season. I have never got a straight answer on it, so maybe you guys can help me understand why states do this?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
jasonkdailey said:
It would be great if you could use Archery, Muzzleloader, centerfire rifles, and single shots during black powder season.
It is not about taking the game with just one shot. It is about taking the game at a bigger disadvantage than todays modern super cartridges that are very accurate. The HAM (handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader) hunts we have in AZ are typically during the rut which increases the opportunity to bag a big animal. If game and fish allowed modern rifles on these hunts the success rates would be very high and the animal populations would suffer.

Many firearm innovations are tied to the inception of the HAM hunts. For example, super accurate pistols like the Thompson contender, and the new ultra modern ultra accurate muzzle loaders. Technology is also producing very accuarate and deadly bows. These innovations are just mans marvelous ways of making the best of the situation. We are truely amazing, but sometimes we ignore the spirit of the law and focus on the details.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
AG touched on the reason, that its supposed to be more challenging. The number of shots isn't the issue as you can have double barrel black powder guns or those with revolving cylinders.

On the Wheeler National refuge here you can use black powder, but it has to be flintlock, no inlines or caps allowed.

If you want to use a blackpowder barrel on a shotgun, check the extra barrel option for the Mossberg 500, 24" MUZZLELOADER CONVERSION BARREL WITH RIFLE SIGHTS or fiber optic sites.

http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm

and I dont see anywhere that a single shot shotgun is a prohibited weapon, it states that a shotgun using ammunition loaded with a single solid ball or rifled slugs, under the illegal weapons a shotgun capable of holding more than 3 shells while hunting migratory birds or using shot sizes larger than number 4 except for beavers, coyotes, and waterfowl.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How do you get away with using a centerfire rifle in black powder season? I know you can use a muzzleloader during regular gun season but the other way around defeats the purpose of the muzzleloading season. I am getting old and easily confused. This is confusing. :?:

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
If you check the TN game and fish site you can see that their seasons are broken up, some are A, M/A, and some are G/M/A. During the later, which opens on 22 November you can use any of the legal hunting weapons, however during the M/A it is muzzleloader and archery only. A centerfire rifle nor a pistol are not allowed during these hunts.

check the TN state DNR or pickup a copy of the regs at WalMart.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D Thanks Rick. That makes it as clear as mud. Ky has the split seasons too. During the two Black Powder seasons, center fire and shotguns are taboo. (Pistols too) Our first muzzle loader is only two days. The regular gun season is 10-16 days depending on the zone you hunt in. We have a late muzzle loader that comes in Dec 13-19. Nothing but muzzle loaders, bows and cross bows allowed during the muzzle loader season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.