Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a nice o/u shotgun and I was wondering which gun in the $2500 range is the most mechanically sound(best locking system, best ejectors, least likely to break,best longevity for the price,ect....). I have tried this thread in the other forums and didnt get anything but a my gun is better than yours pi$$ing match. I am really looking for some straight forward advise not opinion. I would also like to see the comparisons between the actions, ect... and why these actions and parts of these guns are better or worse than the others.

Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
hammer;
I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for beyond the guys telling you what they have used or are currently using which will probably turn out to be more of the
"my peepee is bigger than yours" that you don't like.

The people here are sportsmaen and shooters/hunters/sompetitors. I doubt they will have the comparisons you want and if they do they are not moved to spend a lot of time in demos.

However they will give you their honest opinions of guns currently in use and how well they function if that helps.

I have been a dealer for nearly 30 years and I can give you a good synopsis of what sells and then what kind of problems you have with each gun according to it's use but I do not have the time nor inclination to provide systems operations comparisons.

There are several decent firearms in the price range you specified but none that will measure up to the K guns for overall use. However, most are very reliable and if kept clean and oiled properly seldom if ever break beyond a inexpensive firing pin or spring.

If you look at used firearms you have a great selection of seldom or very lightly used guns from which to choose such as browning beretta cz perazzi remington and winchester just to name a few.

I don't know your general geographical loc so I am unable to help you with places to look. But I am sure you can find dealers in your area and can pick the ones that are honest in their dealings.
Or go to a range and talk to the guys and gals that are actually out there shooting. You will find that most of them would volunteer to let yu use one of their guns for a round so you can actually see how they fit you.

Remember, these are the most giving and caring people you will ever encounter and they go out of their way to help people with questions.

Hope this helps although it is not actual gun comparisons.

UF

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I do not own an O/U, have never owned one and I'm plenty long enough and this isn't advice but rather a source of info.

There's a snotty British mag called The Field, written by and for toffs. It is perhaps the oldest sporting mag in existence. (Actually it is quite good.)

A few months ago they had an article on The best 20 shotguns.

They included, as expected, H&H, Purdy, Boss and the usual suspects all in the $100K range. However, they came to a very interesting conclusion and that is that the Beretta Silver Pigeon series is perhaps the best value of them all. The cheapest SP was named as the gun they would want to have if they were stuck on a desert island for 20 years and could only have one shotgun. That's pretty impressive! Apparently Beretta is the world's largest maker of o/us.

They considered construction, feel and handling.

I personally don't like o/u guns but have shot the SP and found it pretty nice. Far better than the Citori which I have also shot and which is not nearly as well-handling.

The SP series is offered in a range of prices and the only difference is wood and decoration. The mechanism on the cheapest is the same as that on the most expensive.

If you are going to buy in this price range it might be worth having your local public library get the mag on interlibrary loan. Librarians love to do this and it's you tax dollar at work!

You have a lot of option in your price range. You are wise to try to get unbiased info - so much of what you hear is based on experience with ill-fitting guns and a terrible shooting form. Whether a shotgun "fits" you has nothing to do with the make, but with the stock dimensions. If you are an experienced shooter you will know what your stock should be (if not get a fitting) - you really cannot judge a gun that doesn't fit. You are in the price range where it makes sense to spend a few hundred bucks and get a proper fitting with a try gun. Your $2500. gun should be a joy to shoot and in order to be that it has to fit you - not you it.

Good luck and let us know

Frank

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
For $2500 you can get into most of the Brownings brand new. It will also get you into the Beretta 686 family and leave you with plenty of money to spare. Both actions have proven to be more than solid and reliable.

The Beretta 682 Gold E should be easy to find lightly used at that price point.

You might even get lucky and find a Krieghoff K-32 for that price... it's probably the best gun that can be found near that price point.

If you have other guns to use as backups, there are other less expensive options, such as the Remington 3200 and the Winchester 101. Both are out of production, and parts can be a little hard to find locally (hence the need for a backup gun if something does go wrong), but both are excellent. The 101, IMO, kicks like a mule, but it's very reliable... your mileage may vary, as I know others who shoot 101's and don't have the recoil problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Berettas are well made and the basic design is well proven in the various competition venues. A sleeper is the SKB line. Very well made and trouble free according to all reports I have seen.

The basic design of both brands puts the locking surfaces as far as possible from the trunnions. This contributes to low firing forces on the lock-up and makes for a slim(top to bottom) action. The Beretta lock-up is self adjusting for wear.

The ejector designs are nearly identical with only 2 moving parts in each. The single-selective triggers are good on both with little trouble reported in the various forums.

RWO

·
Registered
304 Posts
In that price range, the Browning 525's are hard to beat. You won't get the "best" shotgun for that price, but you can get a darned good one for that price. The basic Beretta is tough to beat as well.

From a gunsmith's standpoint, we're going to be looking at essentially two things.
1. Mechanical design: Does the design make sense and does it work?
2. Manufacturing quality: You can take a gun with a less eloquent design but superior build quality and come out with a better gun.

The basic Browning's and Beretta's are both proven designs in that price range. You don't have to get too deep into the mechanics of the situation because they're both very well tested and proven. So, grab the one that you like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
thehammer said:
I have tried this thread in the other forums and didnt get anything but a my gun is better than yours pi$$ing match. I am really looking for some straight forward advise not opinion.
If you want advise, go see a counselor or a stockbroker...all your going to get here is opinions.

Shotgunners are a different breed, everyone owns the best and are more than willing to tell you that. They are full of opinions, but like to call it advice. They will give you their advice (opinion) on which gun, what stance, why your missing and how to improve...only problem is each persons advice (opinion) is different! Talk to 10, get 10 different answers!

You are going to have to figure this one out on your own. May I suggest you narrow the search and find a brand or two that your interested in and research the heck outta them. Visit various boards and do word searches.

Eventually you will make your own decision and wont be able to say you got some bad advice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bobshouse said:
If you want advise, go see a counselor or a stockbroker...all your going to get here is opinions.
I think the advice I gave him is solid advice and not just opinion. I don't currently own a Beretta or a Browning and I really don't care if I or anyone else thinks MY guns are the best. At the $2,500.00 range, the Browning's and Beretta's are solid PROVEN performers and I think you'll actually find very few that disagree with that assessment. Can you add more guns to that list, perhaps, but these are the two standouts; even though I don't own either one.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
Bobshouse said:
I think the advice I gave him is solid advice and not just opinion. I don't currently own a Beretta or a Browning and I really don't care if I or anyone else thinks MY guns are the best. At the $2,500.00 range, the Browning's and Beretta's are solid PROVEN performers and I think you'll actually find very few that disagree with that assessment. Can you add more guns to that list, perhaps, but these are the two standouts; even though I don't own either one.
Kevin, I wasn't knocking your credentials, my post was not aimed at any individual on the board...

It was just something my dad always drilled into my head. He would always start off..."I could tell you the answer to that question but you wouldn't learn anything...look it up yourself." another famous one, that Im sure you've heard of..."Opinions are like a**holes..everyone has one....and they all stink!"

People tend to take the shortest road, and are quick to point the finger when they get lost...its always someone elses fault that they got themselves into a mess. And I admit it, Im guilty of it also.

·
Registered
748 Posts
[piling on]
You will not be disappointed with either of the B guns the guys above have mentioned. Go to some gun stores and really look at both. They're both proven target workhorses with pretty good dynamics.
[/piling on]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both b guns and skb fit me fine plus if I need slight adjustment I will go to a fitter. To tell you the truth the skb feels (feels) to have the most solid action. I am not a gunsmith so I have no idea if it really is I am just telling my experience to see what yall have to say about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've seen both Browning and Beretta o/u shotguns go many thousands of rounds with very few problems. Both are mature designs with many gunsmiths able to repair either if that should become necessary. I have just under 100k through my citori. One of my friends has just gotten his 682 back from Cole after it's 3rd rebuild. If I remember right there's 1 more rebuild that Cole can perform on his 682 before he has to start to do some more extensive machining work in order to keep it going. This friend has owned this particular shotgun for 8 or 9 seasons and he's the 3rd owner. It's seen a ton of competition rounds with all owners. I hope this helps good luck.

Parris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts