Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies for all the repeat photos. Can’t seem to fix this while posting on my phone.
Hoping to learn as much as I can about this shotgun. It belongs to my father in law and he’s had no luck. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
It is a Lefaucheux action. 18.8 is the bore in mm = .740". Does a 10g shell fit in the chamber?
At the breech end of the L barrel is a faint ELG in an oval - if not crowned it was made prior to 1893.
The crowned JJ could be the mark of several makers, but possibly Joseph Joris
Nouvelle page 0 (littlegun.be)

As a family heirloom it is of course priceless, but it has no practical value.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
NO!!! It was NOT designed to shoot with modern loads and pressures, and certainly not with 3 1/2" 10g. :oops: Thereby explaining the cracked stock.

The Western 10g 2 7/8 inch Super-Ten load with 1 5/8 ounces of shot was introduced in 1926; the 3 1/2" Magnum Ten with 2 oz. in 1932.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense. I have already passed this info along to my FIL!

Where can I get more info on the ammunition this gun was designed to shoot? My FIL is convinced this gun shot shells because it has an extractor. What would have been left behind from the original ammo to be “extracted”?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Optional Smokeless Powder proof began in Belgium in 1891, and the gun does not carry Smokeless proof. That however is not uncommon on guns manufactured for export to the U.S.

Until the 1920s, the heaviest North American factory loaded 10 gauge shells offered were 1 1/4 ounces of shot with 4 1/4 Dr. Eq. of smokeless powder in a 2 7/8 inch case.

Ingredient Font Staple food Rectangle Cuisine

IF your FIL has been using 3 1/2" 10g loads, the case mouth extends into the forcing cone dangerously increasing the chamber pressure.

I don't have a pressures for the 10g loads of the turn-of-the-century.

From Outdoor Life December 1923 “10 Bores and Progressive Powders”
Outdoor Life 1923-12: Vol 52 Iss 6 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Super-X "Field" 10g 2 7/8" with DuPont No. 93 (precursor to Oval Progressive Burning Smokeless) 1 1/4 oz. had a max. pressure of about 9,000 psi
Pressure with Bulk Smokeless would be higher

Lots of information here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You’re wealth of info is amazing and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated!!
I did some disassembly and found more markings and numbers

Any insight on their meaning?

Brown Wood Grey Automotive exterior Rectangle

Automotive tire Wood Font Rim Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Happy to help, but Researcher is the wealth of information here.

The crowned 'JJ' and 'NM' are very likely the tube and gun makers, and not uncommonly seen on tradename doubles.
Joseph Juleinond and Joseph Joiris were both barrel makers in Nessonvaux and members of Syndicat des Fabricants de Canons de Fusil de la Vesdre.
'NM' could be one of the Neumanns
Nouvelle page 0

As noted the 18.8 should be the bore at the time of proof, but may indicate the choke dimension. Do you have a micrometer to measure the muzzle diameter?

Have you measured the chamber length?
There is an easy way to measure chamber length using a 3" x 5" index card, rolled lengthwise, and slid into the chamber. It will partially unroll and expand to the chamber diameter.
Gently advance the card until it stops at the end of the chamber (where the forcing cone constriction starts), use a pencil to mark the card at the breech end of the barrel, and repeat the steps to see if it always comes to same spot.
Then use a ruler to measure the length marked on the card.
The chamber must be clean, and it works best with a new 3” X 5” card.
Please let us know.

So has your FIL been using 3 1/2" 10g turkey loads?

Lots of information regarding Belgian makers and proof marks here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts