Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hi-Standard 12-ga. pump that was made in the early 1970's. It has two stars (asteriks) stamped on the barrel. Can anyone tell me where to go to find out what choke this represents?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I went to the HS web site and it contains mostly info on their pistols, nothing about shotguns. For 'company history' they refer you to several books written about them.

They are currently owned by Firearms International Inc and are located in Texas.

You may want to call them at 1-800-272-7812 to ask about the choke identifiers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
On a 12 gauge (standard bore - not backbored) you can tell the choke with a new dime....

If the dime won't fit in the end of the barrel, it's full choke

If it just fits, it's modified choke

If it's really loose, it's improved cylinder

Your gun is probably not skeet choked, but that would be even looser yet.

But the true answer is to measure the bore (after the forcing cone or before the choke) and then measure the I.D. at the choke, and determine the constriction.

·
Registered
285 Posts
While wwbs comments are a reasonable guideline, you should be aware that there is NOT a universal definition of full/im/mod etc.

One manufacturer's full may be another manufacturer's improved modified and one manufacturer's improved modified may be another manufacturer's modified, etc, etc, etc.

So, be aware of that when using the 'dime test'. IMHO it is kind of like using that old "put the gun in the crook of your arm to see if the stock fits" test. That test only tells you if the gun fits in the crook of your arm, nothing else.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Mark, the catalog number on the gun is SUPPOSED to give the choke when crossreferenced with the chart for your particular gun for example,

Series Bore Chamber Choke Barrel Cat No. From Thru
K-100 12 GA 2.75" Full 28" 8100 1960 1965

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.