Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read plenty of really nice things on DeHaan, but I've also read a boat load of bad about Huglo guns falling apart. So, I figure I should look elsewhere before I make that final purchase. Sad, the price and "look" of these guns is great, but...

I'll be buying a 20 or a 28. And, I'll be using it for clays and hunts. I don't figure to change my habits, so I'm not going to put thousands of rounds into it.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you are looking for something in the entry level price range I would recommend looking for a used Savage Fox Model B or a new Baikal. Savage also has a new 411 SxS but I'm not sure if it's offered in 28 gauge. The Savage 411 is also made by Baikal. Look around at gun shows if you have the opportunity. Stoeger also makes SxS but I wasn't at all impressed with the aesthetics of them.

I would caution you to stay away from Khan but you may want to consider Yildiz or Lanber if you can find one. If you want to spend more money then maybe look at a Ruger Gold Label. ($2000) I don't think you are looking at that price range if you were considering a Huglu though. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kevin2 said:
I've read plenty of really nice things on DeHaan, but I've also read a boat load of bad about Huglo guns falling apart. So, I figure I should look elsewhere before I make that final purchase. Sad, the price and "look" of these guns is great, but...
You might want to consider something in the "shooter" category off the used market. The Ithaca/SKB sxs are really nice little guns, particularly in the 20ga. Look for the Model 100/200/150/280's. All differ slightly in how they are set up, features, wood, engraving, etc, but the basic gun is the same. Very very well made and worth the $. Another good used gun is the Browning BSS, but they can be pricey due to being quite highly sought after lately.

The new market is kinda thin, but there is also CZ who has a 28 and 20 gauge sxs that I looked at and was impressed by on a casual glance. Marlin is also supposed to introduce the new L.C. Smith gun in a 20ga sxs, but I have heard conflicting reviews on it.

Good luck.

Brad

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
KyBrad3 said:
The new market is kinda thin, but there is also CZ who has a 28 and 20 gauge sxs that I looked at and was impressed by on a casual glance.
The CZs are also Huglu imports. They have a 5 year warranty and look very attractive but I didn't buy one because I want a lifetime or at least 10 year warranty on a Huglu if I were to consider it. Very tempting though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fuelburns1 said:
The CZs are also Huglu imports. They have a 5 year warranty and look very attractive but I didn't buy one because I want a lifetime or at least 10 year warranty on a Huglu if I were to consider it. Very tempting though.
Good point, I forgot that they were Huglus as well. As you say, they look attractive, but like you I would want a longer warranty to consider it at that price point.

I also fully agree with you about Yildiz. I have 2 and have found them to be one of the best values in guns I have seen in a long time. However, the reason I didn't recommend it to Kevin is because he in the sxs market and Yildiz are only available as o/u's from Academy Sports here in the US. They have a nice looking .410 sxs that they are exporting to Europe, but no word on whether that is going to make it here or whether they plan on making more subgauge sxs for the US market. I wish they would, I have been really really impressed with their o/u's.

Mid-range sxs are really hard to find. I had no luck finding anything I wanted in the new guns and gravitated toward the used market myself.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.