Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a range of 20 ga autoloaders like the 1100 sporting and g-3 along with franchi 720 , maybe a berretta or bennelli.What would you go for.The last 3 are the highest cost and the first three are about the same.It would be used to shoot some trap, skeet and trap doubles,no hunting maybe a sporting clay course sometime.I have a couple 20 ga now with 28'' barrels I use to hunt.Would you get this type gun in a 28'' or a shorter barrel.Just thought I would like to hear fellow 20 ga shooters thoughts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently (within the last month) purchased a Franchi 720. Primary use is for upland hunting, with the occasional waterfowl opportunity over decoys. I have never owned a 20 gauge - only 12's - but wanted to get a lighter weight shotgun for long walks in CRP for Pheasants. After several very successful recent dove hunts, I am extremely pleased with the 720; it is light weight, points quickly, cycles everything I have fed it thus far, and fits me quite well. Can't wait for the Pheasant opener...I'll be hunting with my 720 in three different states this year!

Not sure if it would be a good dedicated clays or trap gun. For a field gun, the 720 meets those requirements easily! :)

BTW...I got a 26" barrel on mine!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,stockranger the reason I wondered about using the 20 for everything is a couple reasons I guess.I thought about the 20 because I have shot them for years and for occasional sportshooting informally.I want to shoot a little skeet and know I could use it for that but the trap I have shot is mostly 16 yd, and the doubles they shoot are 16 and I thought if I dedicated a 20 to it and used it all the time I would do as well as I would the 12.My problem is I have chronic neck and shoulder problems and pain,I have an 1100 trap I shoot I bought used and recoil with 1oz loads are about non existent. I like the gun but after shooting it awhile its like swinging an I beam.Seems all the old timers at the club are all complaining and loading superlight loads in their break open guns because of recoil ,I just thought maybe I ought to just shoot a 20.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Given your recoil problems you should probably stick with a gas gun. I'm just repeating what I read on this site but I read endlessly. The 1100 is the lowest recoil gun. Maybe a beretta would be good. sounds like either of those in 20 ***** with a long barrel would be good for you. The inertia guns recoil harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts