Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Mossberg 500 12 field grade with 28" barrel. I also have a 18.5" barrel on order for HD purposes.

I don't hunt but want a few shells for home defense and many more to do some paper target shooting. I'll probably get some 0 or 00 buck for the HD. The practice shells won't matter much as to shell and/or shot size.

Is there a good source online for buying shells? I've looked at a few places and there are some places that appear to have very good prices until you factor in shipping. I live in the Florida Panhandle if that makes a difference.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If all you're loading is buckshot, load your own. I can load a box of five for about $1.25. It's just easier to buy a press off of eBay, go to your gun shop and get a pound of powder, go to a big outdoors store and buy (or order) 5 pounds of Hornady buckshot, and get a bag of wads and 1000 primers. Look for recipes on Hodgdon's website. PM me with any questions.

BT

·
Registered
488 Posts
KABA said:
I just purchased a used Mossberg 500 12 field grade with 28" barrel. I also have a 18.5" barrel on order for HD purposes.

I don't hunt but want a few shells for home defense and many more to do some paper target shooting. I'll probably get some 0 or 00 buck for the HD. The practice shells won't matter much as to shell and/or shot size.

Is there a good source online for buying shells? I've looked at a few places and there are some places that appear to have very good prices until you factor in shipping. I live in the Florida Panhandle if that makes a difference.

Thanks much!
Just regular all purpose shot shells like 12ga 2 3/4" 1oz #6 are $4.50 for a box of 25. Thats all i pay here in Georgia for them. They are great for small game and just blasting paper. I think thats cheap. Why reload? Look at what reloading equipment cost i can buy allot of shells for that! Then their is the time factor to do the reloading. Maybe as a hobby?

·
Registered
576 Posts
sorry to see how people feel towards reloading anymore. i know its time consuming and we wouldnt be able to spend as much time on the computer but its a nice way of spending time with the family if you get them interested in it also. i guess im an old fuddy duddy but i still like and enjoy doing it.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I am an absolute ammo whore... There's a shop in town that puts out "old" boxes of ammo cheap. I snap them up.

Last weeks score was nearly 3 flats of 16 gauge for about $125.

I reload, but mostly .410, and plan to start 16 short shells for my older guns.

·
Registered
488 Posts
whtsmoke said:
sorry to see how people feel towards reloading anymore. i know its time consuming and we wouldnt be able to spend as much time on the computer but its a nice way of spending time with the family if you get them interested in it also. i guess im an old fuddy duddy but i still like and enjoy doing it.
I don't feel anything bad towards reloading. Thats why i said as a hobby. If it is something you enjoy with the family great! Kids don't really mind what you do they just want you to spend time with them. And if you and your kids like to spend time reloading as well as shooting together go for it. My father was a complete *** we never did anything together. He would do stuff and drag me along and complain like i was a ball and chain connected to his ankle. Heaven help for one second if i not could pretend to be there i got my *** beat! So great reload ammo with your kids make some good memories. I wish i had good memories of my father if it had been reloading ammo are anything.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For no more than you intend to shoot, $25.00 at DICK'S or Wally World ought to last you a lifetime. Can't get much more cheaper than that. Heck post your address I'll send you a few boxes of buck shot. 00 buck is only about $2.20 a box.

·
Registered
576 Posts
sorry there john nothing meant about you it was just a general observation on my part. i know what you are talking about my dad didn't do anything with us and i got the razor strap myself but as i did we all can do something with our kids to make a difference, thank god i had a good neighbor that helped me.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
john, smoke,

I ain't getting into the whole family issue because the bulls#!+ gets me ticked off. You guys are better men and in turn your famly is and will be a better family. God bless you man!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I doubt whether I'll be shooting enough to offset the startup cost for reloading. It does sound like it could be enjoyable though.

I've bought a Wal Mart special for now. 100 Federal 2.75" shells with #8 shot.

I think I'll look for some of the low recoil buck rounds to use for the HD function.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't know where you live, but if you bought 10 HD rounds that would last you your lifetime. I reload all my trap shells, and I found it's the only way I can shoot like I do, because with the price of shot I am spending about 3.20 a box and in stores the cheap shells are 5 dollars. Funny thing is dad and reload together a lot, one of the things the very few things we can do together because of scheduals. I would recomend reloading for anyone and everyone who shoots an odd gauge like 410 or 16, or for anyone who wants to shoot clays

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hawkeye_90 said:
I don't know where you live, but if you bought 10 HD rounds that would last you your lifetime. I reload all my trap shells, and I found it's the only way I can shoot like I do, because with the price of shot I am spending about 3.20 a box and in stores the cheap shells are 5 dollars. Funny thing is dad and reload together a lot, one of the things the very few things we can do together because of scheduals. I would recomend reloading for anyone and everyone who shoots an odd gauge like 410 or 16, or for anyone who wants to shoot clays
Hawkeye, That's great. My Dad has been gone 20 years now and I treasure every moment that I spent with him.

The truth is that I have no sons; my daughters are grown and away from home; and my wife wouldn't enjoy loading at all.

And the clincher is that I have so many tools, toys, and gadgets that I'm not sure where I'd put a reloader right now.

Enjoy your reloading. And enjoy those moments with your Dad. They pass all too quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts