Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting into reloading because the range where I shoot skeet sits on the edge of a lake and they require non-toxic shot, #7 or smaller, 3 drams or less.

The only factory brand I've found that offers non-toxic #9 is Hevi-Shot, but it also has a Hevi-Price. For that reason, I usually shoot Winchester Xpert #7 which I get for $6.15/box of 25.

So while I think I will fall into the category of reloaders who reload because they like to experiment with specialty loads and tinker with performance, I'm also curious about cost savings.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some ballpark numbers for reloading #9 steel shot. I've read through past posts, so I have a rough idea, but I'm hoping there's someone out there who actually reloads the same kind of shell and can tell me what they're averaging as far as cost per shell.

Like I said, cost savings is not really a priority for me in this case, but I'm just curious...

Also, I was checking out MEC's website, and I was wondering why you need a reloader that is specifically designed for steel shot? What makes it different from the standard ones?

thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I keep thinking about loading steel as well. It does take special wads and most local places don't carry them. Steel shot is also not cheap and #9 shot I have not ever seen. I think the problem is a #9 steel pellet is just too light and losses too much energy too quick to be effective at breaking targets consistantly at anything over 15 yrds. The rule of thumb for steel is two sizes larger then what you would shoot for lead.

You do need special charge bars because steel shot is lighter, there fore you need a larger volume of steel to get a 1 1/8 oz load. They also have a larger diameter shot drop tube for the larger shot sizes need for steel. MEC sells conversion kits for the normal reloader so you could convert for lead to steel and back as needed.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah... actually, that explains a lot.

I had always thought that #9 steel shot was just not widely needed because most waterfowl are too big to use #9 and because most skeet fields are not near the water. But from what you're saying, I see that it's actually not widely used simply because small steel pellets are just plain ineffective.

Wow, it sure took awhile for that light bulb to go off in my head :idea:

So I guess even if I were to reload my own, I'd still probably be using #7 pellets...

So much to learn...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts