Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is sometimes too much info on the net, it gets confusing: can someone please tell me the following about each gun listed-this could be fun.
1.origin of manufacture
2.pros-(durability,fit,finish etc)
3.cons-(what to look for in a used one,problems just with that model, how to spot a lemon,etc.)
4.Metal used in fabrication of receiver-steel,aluminum,etc.
I understand hardly anything is made here in the USA anymore, but I really get confused when Remington,Browning,Weatherby,Marlin,H&R go overseas to have their O/U ders built. So here is the list of guns I would like to knwo about, I may not have the model number but they are all Over/Unders made in the last couple of years. Thanks so much for the help.
1. Remington Spartan- Russia by Baikal
2. Remington 332(300's,32,etc) series- USA
3. Winchester Select Fields- FN Belgium
4. Winchester 101's- Japan
5. Winchester 96's
6. Browning Citori- Japan by Miroku
7. Berreta 686-Italy I think - Italy
8. Mossberg Silver Reserve- I think it's Turkish
9. Lanber 2097?- Spain?
10. H&Rs new Over/Under
11. Veronas - Italy F.A.I.R.
12. Yildiz's - Turkish
13. Weatherby Orions - SKB - Japan

Yall have fun, and I really appreciate it.

jlptexashunter edited in-line

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TexasTon said:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Youd think someone with "shotgun expert" by their log in name could give a better answer :D or is ....naw its not worth it, what do I know Im just Field Grade :p . Have a Happy New Year :lol:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Wow! Expecting a lot of others arn't you?

Do a little of your own research and come back on the ones you cant find...and have fun doing that! You might learn something.

Bob

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Southernfried said:
Youd think someone with "shotgun expert" by their log in name could give a better answer :D or is ....naw its not worth it, what do I know Im just Field Grade :p . Have a Happy New Year :lol:
someone will probably go to the effort---but i won;t----you put down 13 manufacturers----and each can be broken down into subclasses that would require different designations -------------yes :roll: :roll: :roll: this is the friendliest site on the web but we aren't stupid-----a correct answer would require hours-----why don't you put forth some effort first

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
4 questions about each of 13 guns - that's 52 answers.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well first off, I guess, I should apologize, I never thought asking a question would garner so much. That was never my intent. I am just trying to learn as much as I can as quick as possible, never even thought for a minute it would take 52 answers, never thought any comments I made were "snide" in anyway what so ever, if they were taken that way, I do apologize. Honestly I have searched and cannot findout the info that I was asking about, I know some are made in Turkey, Russia, and Berreta is in Italy, though some say USA, but thats about it. I have even asked the local gun dealer and he has no idea. I cant find out anything on the Remingtons(except for Spartan, I see they are made in Russia)-and I found that here, but I cant find any info on what they are made of, which are steel, aluminum or what ever, cant find it, dont know where to look or who to ask. Ive been all over this site and just have not found the right page-yet, and I thought I had read just about all of them. I have emailed Remington,Winchester and Browning-no reponses yet. I did place a call to Winchester and the polite lady just told me that the new select fields were made in Belgium but assembled in Portugal, whatever that means, and she had no information on the other Winchesters when they were made or when, that I mentioned. SO if I did call, email and ask the manufactures themselves and cant get the info-where do I go. Once again if anyone mistook my comments I do apologize. I also never knew I sounded like Tom Sawyer, if I do so be it, I often write the way I talk. Never would I have thought that would have applied to a gun question. IF anyone can help with anything I do and will appreciate it. Thanks again and there are no hard feelings on my end I hope there are none on yalls.
Randy

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I edited in line for countries as for th rest of the stuff it......

Shoot the best gun you can afford and that fits you. All of the other stuff doesn't matter.

If you stick to any of the Big Names, Remington, Beretta, Browning, Winchester, Weatherby you're going to get a nice gun. There are others such as Franchi, Guerini, Miroku, Nikko that you'll run across in your search that are also quite good guns.

If all you can afford is $600 then look at Baikal, CZ, Yildiz or used from the above mfgs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hunter thank you so much. I have an older Browning sweet 16, that was my grandads back in the 50s Im told. It too was made in Belgium. Is being made in Belgium mean as much today(on the new Winchesters) as it did back then, kinda like when people look for a Swiss watch, they want to see "Swiss Made" can I apply this same logic to the guns made in Belgium today? Thanks again for all your help. I will be glad when this learning curve of mine has passed. It is very confusing, Im learning that the newer Brownings are made in Japan, Charles Daly used to be made by the same people, etc. Its so hard to find info when things apparently change quite a bit.Thanks again

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
One quick correction to the list above. Winchester 101's were made by Olin-Kosenda (not spelled right) in Japan. That plant no longer exists. I think the current Winchesters are made by FN in Belgium. The same parent company owns Winchester and Browning.

·
Registered
536 Posts
fried, I didn't see any reference to Tom Sawyer, perhaps it was edited out. I'm guessing the reference was to Tom's knack for getting others to do things for him, like painting a fence. I don't think the reference was to voice or style. That said, do you have any old copies of Shooter's Bible? There's a wealth of information in the old ones. I just don't have the time to look through them. Good luck in your quest. I think if you reduce the scope of your question you'll get help, especially on this forum. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
To answer part of your question, what materials are used.
Receivers- usually steel, aluminum, or occasionally titanium.
Stocks - Wood and plastic.
Barrels - steel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill M. said:
No worries Bill, after rereading my post, I can see where someone could have misunderstood, I was trying to apply it all to a challenge to see who could name everything, my wife constantly tells me I have a communication problem and expect people to read my mind, I guess shes right :oops: .Thanks again for the info.Yall please keep it coming

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HuntNshoot said:
fried, I didn't see any reference to Tom Sawyer, perhaps it was edited out. I'm guessing the reference was to Tom's knack for getting others to do things for him, like painting a fence. I don't think the reference was to voice or style. That said, do you have any old copies of Shooter's Bible? There's a wealth of information in the old ones. I just don't have the time to look through them. Good luck in your quest. I think if you reduce the scope of your question you'll get help, especially on this forum. Good hunting and good luck.
Back when I had a ffl back in 87 I had all kinds of info, almost 20 years later I have lost everything, SWMBO has thrown alot of it out. But everything Im getting is helping, Im just trying to put this big puzzle that yall all know about together. I will catch up. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JoeCool said:
To answer part of your question, what materials are used.
Receivers- usually steel, aluminum, or occasionally titanium.
Stocks - Wood and plastic.
Barrels - steel.
Thanks, I understand some of the guns are made of aluminum and steel, in the receiver, of those that are, what parts HAVE to be steel to be durable, and what CAN be aluminum and not cause any premature where, because I know in my golf equipment, the aluminum putters wear alot quicker than the steel ones. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill M. said:
One quick correction to the list above. Winchester 101's were made by Olin-Kosenda (not spelled right) in Japan. That plant no longer exists. I think the current Winchesters are made by FN in Belgium. The same parent company owns Winchester and Browning.
Bill from what I read else where and here, then, the newer Winchesters made at the FN Belgium, in theory should be a higher quality than the older 101's made at the now defunt plant, is that a good assumption, because I know the qaulity that was built into my sweet 16 from the 50's, and if it is like that, then to me, the Winchesters built in Belgium now would be more sought after, than the Brownings in Japan now, or are they all still connected, heck I just thought, isnt Winchester connected to Browning, I remember awhile back both companies were offering a BOSS system on their rifles. This is getting more and moer interesting for me, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Southernfried said:
Bill from what I read else where and here, then, the newer Winchesters made at the FN Belgium, in theory should be a higher quality than the older 101's made at the now defunt plant, is that a good assumption, because I know the qaulity that was built into my sweet 16 from the 50's, and if it is like that, then to me, the Winchesters built in Belgium now would be more sought after, than the Brownings in Japan now, or are they all still connected, heck I just thought, isnt Winchester connected to Browning, I remember awhile back both companies were offering a BOSS system on their rifles. This is getting more and moer interesting for me, thanks for the help.
The Winchester 101s are probably thee most sought after Winchester O/Us ever made. Many on this site and others have shot them for years and through many thousands of rounds without a problem. The newer Winchesters don't seem to have such a faithful following. Why? I'm not sure, but I've heard that fit and finish isn't as good. Again, just hearsay as I haven't really had a chance to compare the two personally.

Also, the Winchester 96 as far as I know was made by Miroku.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts