Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned this one today.....1. Never hunt dove when the wind is blowing 50 mph and there is a storm approaching. The dove tend to not fly much under these conditions. Even if they did you can't hardly stand up nor can you see through the dirt in your eyes :eek: regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
You were trying to hunt on an incoming tropical storm? Did the wife just insist that you needed to get out and hunt? You might check to see if the lil' woman hasn't bumped the ol' life insurance policy a few mil whilst you wasnt lookin'.You been drinking any of the almond flavoured coffee?

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hardcore when it comes to dove hunting. Honestly there were a couple of gusts that knocked me off balance. hahaha.Anyway, I knew that when the tree line on the other side of the field disappeared that the rain was coming and I had about 30 seconds to make it to the car. I did call my wife, when I saw the storm building up in the distance, and asked her to check the radar for me. She said, "Oh that storm is two counties away from you. Stay out there and have a good time. Trust me. ". That evil laugh she has is so cute. It WAS a little too windy for the doves to fly, but I thought "just maybe they will walk out of the field or come rolling by as the wind blows them". Now I wouldn't shoot them walking on the ground, but I figure if they are rolling across the field then that's just as sporting as if they were flying. See my logic? You know I'm from Alabama, so I'm not going to let a little thing like a tropical storm stop me. Heck no, it's got to at least be a hurricane. My best dove hunting day was when an F3 tornado came roaring through the field I was in. I just hugged a big old oak tree and hung on. It had those dove stirred up like crazy. The local boys (Texans) left the field when they saw it coming and missed out on all the good hunting. ;) P.S. I never drink coffee or liquor (that would be unsafe) when I'm hunting...only beer. By the end of the day every dove I see is a potential double.Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.