Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently aquiered a 28ga shot gun . Here in australia 20 ga ammo is about as scarse as rocking horse **** . Will only ever shoot about 20 or so shots a year , so i was wondering if any had information on hand loading shells with home made gear similar to the old lee hand loader tools . I dont want the added expences of buying a press. I can get hold of some plastic wads , but not sure how to make a star crimp any sudjestions?

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
ozy;

You won't need anything special to start a crimp. You already have the crimp folds in the once fired hull! Use you fingernails, I assume Ausies have them :wink: and you can just work arround the hull with your fingers and almost fold the crimp manualy. In the end you will want a tube the size of the hull to slip the loaded but as yet uncrimped hull into and then a rod a bit smaller than the inside dia of hull to use to force the crimp folds down and set them on the hull. If you truely do need a crimp starter, you can easialy make one with a piece of plastic or aluminum or even wood or steel by taking a twist drill the size of the shell and drilling a hole and cutting a taper/countersink about 1/4" deep in the "block" and then use that taper left by the cutting edge of the twist drill to help close your crimp folds. It isn't rocket scientry!

BP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks burnt powder your right it isnt rocket science and I'm keen to get out there and give it a go being a old single barel gun im asumeing if the loads are kept mild the brase want need resizing ? My old 28 ga only really a wall hanger i guess but its nitro prof and still tight and i cant bear to have a gun about the place and not shoot it ocasionally
drove across america a couple of years ago from washington dc to sanfransico loved it and all you americans i met were very friendly evan got to shoot a tommy gun in los vagas
ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts