Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, it's been quite a while since I've been around the forums. I'm unfortunately selling the 682e trap combo due to some issues and looking to buy a nice slug gun for deer hunting and put the remainder of the money towards college.

I'm really liking the M2 Field with the raised comb/scope...

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/slugguns.tpl

I have a Stoeger S2000 and seem to really like the Inertia firing system. I have lent the Stoeger to a few friends of mine for waterfowl and they also like the gun a lot so that is kind of my reasoning to looking at Benelli for my slug gun.

So I guess I'm just looking for any opinions on the gun or what would be a better option in the 1,000-1,500 dollar range.

Thank You

-Rob

·
Registered
864 Posts
I thought you were trying to sell your trap gun, to buy a slug gun. I just thought your trap gun would sell better in the trap or skeet forum, instead of in the slug shooting forum. Maybe you already have it sold? Yes you are asking about which slug gun to get, but I was trying to help you get rid of your trap gun ... thats all :D

Browning also makes some very nice slug set ups as well. A friend of mine has a Browning Gold Hunter (I do believe it is), with a cantilever barrel, and he loves it.

I wish more people would jump in here and help you out :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In the price range you are looking @ 1000-1500 dollars, you can get a nice Browning gold, Wincester SuperX 3 cantilever, T/C encore in 12 or 20 gauge (prohunter or standard), a good used TarHunt (maybe) or a nice browning bps in walnut in either 12 or 20 gauge, or just buy an USH for less that 300.00 and a whole bunch of ammo.

It's obviously up to you. Repeater or single shot. Semi-auto or pump. Wlanut or synthtetic. There are tons of choices.

If I were buying a new rifled barrel slug gun today, I'd buy a T/C encore in the ProHunter configuration. Stainless and sythetic for durability, Limbsaver pad and flex tech stock for recoil reduction and Thompson center quality. I've seen them @ BassPro for less than $800.00. I think you get high end features, great quality and still have money left over for expensive ammo.

Jim

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just shot one of those TC ProHunters about a week ago. If the gun weighed 3 or 4 pounds, that was about it. For as light as the gun was, the recoil was not bad, but lets just say I would never own one. You might get 2 or 3 shots off, and then you better put it back in the case. I just don't like getting beat up by a gun, when you are trying to sight it in. Yes, even with the Sims recoil pad, it still hurt.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
wileyhunter said:
I just shot one of those TC ProHunters about a week ago. If the gun weighed 3 or 4 pounds, that was about it. For as light as the gun was, the recoil was not bad, but lets just say I would never own one. You might get 2 or 3 shots off, and then you better put it back in the case. I just don't like getting beat up by a gun, when you are trying to sight it in. Yes, even with the Sims recoil pad, it still hurt.
I should have qualified my suggestion by saying I would only want the prohunter slug gun in 20 gauge. I quit shooting 12's years ago.

Jim

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I have a very good friend that works at a gun shop and they just happen to have a slug barrel for my Stoeger S2000. It is not the camo version but oh well, I don't have to pay out the rear end for it and I get a nice scope with it. I wasn't expecting to be able to find a barrel for that gun so that's why I was looking at other guns.

Thank you again for the help.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts