Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add an inexpensive 20ga auto to the stable for my mom and girlfriend to learn on. Both want to learn how to shoot clay games but neither handle my 12ga o/u very well.

Not knowing if they will like the game or not, I'd prefer to stick with an inexpensive 20 ga auto to start with. I'll buy used to hopefully recoup most of my money if they decide its not the game for them.

Stoeger or Baikal looks like a decent option at this point. What do you guys think?

Something around $250 would be ideal, but I could do $300 if needed.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Used Beretta AL390, Remington 1100, Remington 11-87

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You'll need to shop around and it may take awhile. Check out pawn shops, the classifieds here, etc. Or, you may consider a used 870 Wingmaster pump or new 870 Express.

I doubt you will find a decent semi-auto new in your budget.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
While budget is certainly a concern, try to start them on something that gives them a fair shot at shooting as an introduction. Going to be hard to find a decent autoloader at that price though you may luck out on a used one.
Autoloader would be nice though for a little less recoil.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
That $300 price range is VERY limiting. If I were in that position, I would opt for a used 12ga (not 20ga) Remington 1100 and then cut the stock down to fit them. Recoil and dimensions is what's most difficult for a new woman or youth shooter. Most small 20ga guns recoil more than most 12ga guns simply because of the lighter weight. Some 20s are real killers - others are not. If you could swing more money, Beretta builds some nice short stocked 12ga autoloaders for ladies. In this case, I would look hard at the 3901 Target RL. The retail is $900, which means you should be able to buy it for about $725.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You might be able to find a Charles Daly 20ga autoloader at Dick's. My friends son has one in the youth model he paid around $320 for his new. It's got around 2000 rounds through it and works great.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I found a NIB Beretta 3901 Statesman at Dick's for $499. . .then signed up for credit card and knocked it down to $454, then $50 back in scorecard points. . . .so around $400 for a new one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my remington 11-87. That said, Its over your price range, and the statesman model I have is ugly, but it points great, chokes are cheap and easy to acquire, and its easy to fix, and after the first 400 rounds, very reliable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I know where a Beretta AL-2 20 ga is for sale. It comes with 2 barrels (IC and MOD). The metal is 100% and the wood has some handling marks otherwise a fine little auto. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
11,366 Posts
10-4 on that aw. I'd be first in line to buy a 20 ga Stoeger semi. I am going to try one of the Mossberg 20 gauge semis as they are already to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.