Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milling about today in a dealer/gunsmith from whom I have bought some nice older guns (Parker, LeFever, Savage), I came upon three semis in very good shape.
Rather than make three posts in the "I Love My" section, I'll ask for info here. I am not familiar with any of them. They are a Mossberg 9200 ($400), a Winchester model 40 ($250) and an Antonio Zoli ($499). All 12 ga.
How do these shape up?
Pete

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The Mossberg 9200 is a good gun, but that price is way too high. You can get a BRAND NEW Mossberg 930 for what they're asking... Even if it were NIB, I wouldn't go any higher than $275 - $300, unless it comes with spare barrels and parts, I'd say pass on this one.

The Winchesters have a good reputation, but parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I don't have any 1st hand knowledge about the Zoli, sorry, I can't help you there...

Smitty

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a 9200 for a decade; it was my first auto. I liked it fine and only stopped shooting it when I bought a Beretta 391 that was better balanced.

I found it very reliable and really enjoyed it. i'd go $275 for one with a walnut stock in good shape.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Mossy 9200 is a good shotgun. I have owned one for years. Mine came with a field barrel and a rifled slug barrel.
I kill my deer every year with the 9200. Mine is a crown grade and came with a lifetime guarantee. No problems as of yet with her. If it is in good shape, go for it.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
The two newer guns are ok, but that Winchester Model 40 is a rare, rare bird.

Just before WW2 Winchester came out with the Model 40 semi automatic shotgun. It was popular, but they only had a couple of years of sales before the war shut down production.

After the war, Winchester didn't reissue the Model 40. They claimed there were problems with it, and any that came in for repair were replaced by brand new Model 12's and a note to forget about semi auto shotguns.

In over twenty years of active gun trading, I've never seen a really nice example of a Model 40. Parts are not obtainable, the gun has a reputation as a dog, but I'd just love to buy a nice one for $250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.