Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new OU. I have been looking at the various Winchester models. 12ga. w/ 26" barrels. Will be used for hunting with the occassional trap round. It seems most of the posts say they are made by the same factory which builds Browning. Some have invector chokes with back bored barrels while others do not have this listed.They seem to be more reasonably priced than most of the name brands.

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
They are NOT made by Browning, nor are they made in the same factory. Browning and Winchester are owned by the same parent company, which causes some of the confusion.

I don't really see a question in your post, so I won't comment any further...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any or all of the things you mentioned would be informative.

I don't know anyone who owns or has handled one of the new Winchesters. None of the shops in my area carry them either so I don't have any local knowledge to draw from.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
A shooting buddy has a Winchester O/U that is about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. I think it is called the Select Energy. It has an adjustable comb and barrels that are either 32" or 30" (I think it's 32").

Anyway, he really likes the gun. He shoots it VERY well and is hard to beat. Although he doesn't shoot registered targets, I'm sure he could be a Master class shooter if he wanted to....... and I don't say this lightly because I know a BUNCH of Master class shooters and I'm AA class myself.

I'm sure that he highly recommends the gun. I would estimate that he has put about 12K to 15K rounds through the gun since he bought it. I've never heard him say the first word about anything being wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
drsfmd said:
They are NOT made by Browning, nor are they made in the same factory.
You are wrong. The new Winchester O/U Model 101s, and the ones they replaced such as the Select Energy, are made in the same plant at FN in Belgium.

Lou, what model are you looking at?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ole Cowboy said:
drsfmd said:
They are NOT made by Browning, nor are they made in the same factory.
You are wrong. The new Winchester O/U Model 101s, and the ones they replaced such as the Select Energy, are made in the same plant at FN in Belgium.

Lou, what model are you looking at?
No sir, you are wrong.

You are correct that FN Herstal is making the Winchester shotguns. Browning shotguns are made by Miroku in Japan, as they have been for the last 35 years.

There are a handful of Brownings shotguns still made in Belgium each year... I bet you could count them on two hands... they will make a custom Superposed on special order, and for the price, you could buy a pair of Krieghoffs...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ole Cowboy,

I was looking at 3 different models: 101 Select, Select White Field, and the Select Elegance

I can't find any info as to whether they have ejectors or extractors, and if they are mechanical triggers or are inertia .

Are all three built by FN, and do they have the lock up like the Beretta's ?

Thanks for taking the time .

Lou

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Lou Tenant said:
Ole Cowboy,

I was looking at 3 different models: 101 Select, Select White Field, and the Select Elegance

I can't find any info as to whether they have ejectors or extractors, and if they are mechanical triggers or are inertia .

do they have the lock up like the Beretta's ?
The Select Elegance and the Select White Field are slightly older models. The 101 models have replaced the others. They are basically the same gun. The 101 models have frames and stocks that are milled and shaped to look like the old Japanese Model 101s. They also feel and handle a lot like the old 101s. Other than that the new 101 is not anything like the old 101.

They all have ejectors.

Not sure about the triggers.

Their lock up is very similar to the Beretta's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.