Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like any info anyone has on a 16 ga browning automatic. The serial number is X6575. The other info I have is,
Special steel 16 gauge Browning auto FN, made in Begium, Browning arms co. St Louis MO. There are some symbols on the gun as well they are +,B, a lion - P., V., and something that looks like a horizontal line with a triangle at the bottom. Sorry if the explanations of the symbols are bad. I also know it is a plain barrel.
I hope I gave enough info. I was just wanting general info like date it was made, value etc.
Thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
BrowninG
SHOT

stamped into the top of the wooden forearm? If so, its probably a post WWII prodution model. 1946-1947. The '3 shot' designation refers to its magazine/chamber capacity in respose to the federal law of only 3 shots in your gun for waterfowl hunting.

Call Browning at one of the numbers found here:

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=35

value?? not sure. If your truely interested in its value start by taking it to a gun dealer or two.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
X6575 was built in 1952. The Browning website is highly innaccurate when it comes to Browning A5s. "X" series guns were made from 1947 until 1953. If it is an A3 "X' series it is very rare. It will be so marked.

Is the "+" actually an astrick (*), if it is it means that the barrel is a full choke. The Rampant Lion PV mark is the semi-smokless voluntary proof of 150%. You may also find a Greek letter Omega (looks like a horseshoe) with the numbers 16-70 in it. This shows that the barrel is a 16 gauge 70mm(2 3/4 inch chamber. The triangle should hade a letter or letters near it. This is the secret proof mark of the inspector.

Value depends on grade,barrel legnth and,most of all on condition. Also,X series guns can be Standardweights or Sweet Sixteens. Does it have a gold trigger?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. It was an astrik and not a x. I dont know where to look on it to find out if it is A3 series. It is a standard weight I believe nothing on it says sweet sixteen. I dont know about the barrel length or the grade, or really how to tell. The gun is in excellent condition. It does not have a gold trigger.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
A Grade I will have line engraving around the blued receiver. Sounds like you have a Standardweight 16. A 90% Standardweight with a plain barrel will sell in the $300-$350 range in my area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was googling around tonight looking for info on I gun that I have that's been passed down to me. Mine sounds remarkably similiar to this, mine is X1355.

Lots of engraving all over the receiver, it has the 16-70 on the barrel, and the B, lion, PV engravings, etc.

Also on the bottom side of the barrel it has 16.7, an X with what looks like an * under it, what looks like 33 overlapping one another, and then what kind of looks like a Y a little ways to the right of that.

It has stitch type engraving (WWWWWWWW) around the receiver on both sides.

Anyone know what year this one might be.

And how would I tell if it is an A3 or not as mentioned above? Does it actually say A3 on it, or are there other markings?

I'm very curious as to what I have and what my son will be shooting with his first gun.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
X1355 was made in 1947.

It is easy to tell if your gun is an A3 or an A5. Take out any plug and see how many shells the magazine will hold. Also, the A3 was not made after WWII with the exception of very few pieces that are accounted for.

The Sweet Sixteen was offered with a gold plated trigger and the Standard Weight had a blued trigger. They did not start marking the Sweet Sixteen with special serial number prefixes until late 1953. The X prefixed 16 ga guns began in late 1947 and ran until early 1953.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey A5guy, thanks for the info. This one is definitely an A5 :)

It's fun to know that this gun is almost 60 years old. My dad gave it to me when I start hunting, about 25 years ago, and I shot it quite a bit for the first 10 years or so. Around that time, I bought and 870 wingmaster, and still primarily shoot that today.

I don't shoot the 16 very often any more, it is a light little gun that you can shoot all day, great gun for a youngster to learn with. My son will start hunting in a couple of years, and I hope he enjoys the gun as much as I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A5guy said:
X1355 was made in 1947.

Also, the A3 was not made after WWII with the exception of very few pieces that are accounted for.

The Sweet Sixteen was offered with a gold plated trigger and the Standard Weight had a blued trigger. They did not start marking the Sweet Sixteen with special serial number prefixes until late 1953. The X prefixed 16 ga guns began in late 1947 and ran until early 1953.
Some of this post doesn't make sense to me with the recent info Ive received.
The gun I am looking at buying is a sweet 16, which is clearly engraved on the side of the receiver yet it has a blued trigger with the safety on the front side. The serial is FN x19946 Which, from what Ive learned, indicates a production date of 1948.
Also, the gun is a three shot. 2 in the tube, one in the chamber. (no plug) If this makes it an A-3 (which is a fictional model) Im not sure how it has been "accounted for" since the person selling it found it in his grandmothers basement.

Could someone clarify these discrepancies for me please?

A little more info if someone wants to offer me an opinion on the gun. This gun has line engraving on the top and sides of the receiver. Now I know what a plain barrel is, and I know what a vent rib is, but the seller calls this one a "matte rib"
I dont see a rib, I see an engraved line about 3/16ths wide down the top of the barrel from the receiver to the Cutts compensator/choke tube. Is the seller identifying this correctly? Or is this just another plain barrel?

Because I want the gun, I am going to buy it for $500.
It has cutts comp with 3 original choke tubes/wrench original wood, with a few dings and a small crack in the fore. Some minor wear in the bluing from being carried with a leather glove and the metal is excellent.

The barrel is original, so I assume it is made for 2 9/16 shells vs 2 3/4?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
My post that you quoted refered to "Duck Stupid's" gun #X1355.

Your 1948 A3 is a rather rare gun if it has a blued trigger and safety but they could be ordered that way. In fact, if it is a three shot Sweet Sixteen and made in 1948, it was a special order gun and was (probably) assembled from pre-WWII parts. The "matted rib" (engraved barrel stripe) was standard on all lightweight A3s and A5s. This includes the Sweet Sixteen Model that started to show up after 10 May 1937.

If your gun has "short" chambers, it should be marked "16-65"
inside of an Omega mark. Again the 65mm chambers would be a special order on a 1948 gun. Not common,again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.