Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mossberg 500 cruiser for christmas, I am gonna add an ATI collapsable stock and an ATI foreend pistol grip, I have read that ATI is at the lower end of quality, but this is for function, or is the ATI such low quality I have to worry about failuire.

Also for light I want to use the ATI light holder that mounts to the bottom of the foreend pistol grip, I have not read anything about this piece on here, has anyone used it?

With the 18.5 barrel will a 2 shot extender stick out past the end of the barrel? Do they make a 1 shot ext tube?

I am also gonna mount an inexpensive laser light on it. I am thinking I can use mini pin switches to activate the lights and lasers, as I would think tape swtchs would not work as well.

Does anyone have any pics of a gun outfitted with the ATI pieces?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
That is the one I was talking about. Nice shotgun! Any mag tube ext for this shotgun will either be to short or to long. You will need one that is custom made or custom fitted for it.

I custom fit one for it. It is 4" long and is about a 1/4" from the end of the breacher crown. To give the crown a little space. It will give your shotgun 7+1 capacity. When get ready for one give me a email.

The ATI products are not the best.

GC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
winchester1300 said:
Does anyone have any pics of a gun outfitted with the ATI pieces?
The stocks that Mossberg sells from the factory are ATI's, if they were "failing" left and right, I'm sure there would be reports all over these forums. You can buy them direct from Mossberg, too.



For an extended mag tube, contact Choate Machine, they don't list a 1-shot extention on their web-site, but, I have seen one on a gun so they must make them... http://www.riflestock.com You will need the magazine extention that fits the 835, since the nut for the barrel is more like the 835 than the 500...

Good luck & Happy New Year!!!

Smitty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
winchester1300 said:
I am gonna add an ATI collapsable stock and an ATI foreend pistol grip, I have read that ATI is at the lower end of quality, but this is for function, or is the ATI such low quality I have to worry about failuire.
I know I'm going to get some flak for this, but:

1) PG stocks on Mossbergs don't allow you to engage/disengage the safety from a firing grip. This makes them ALL an unsafe addition in my book.

2) Straight, AR15-type stocks (like the ATI unit) on shotguns enhance recoil. There is a reason the comb on normal shotgun stocks is angled. Inline stocks are great for low-recoiling semi- and full-auto rifles, but shotguns have heavy recoil, and pumps don't shoot semi-auto.

3) Due to that enhanced recoil, the plastic tube attached to the plastic pistol grip on the ATI unit (I had one for my 870) must be reinforced if you will be shooting a lot. I ran an extra screw vertically throgh the middle (top down) in addition to the two screws provided with the stock before I sold it off.

Bottom Line: On a Mossberg, you can't get to the safety the way you should with the ATI unit, and it will enhance recoil to the point that it will be very painful to shoot with full-power loads (ask me how I know this). This recoil will in turn stress not only you, but the bareley-adeqaute interface between the collapsible stock tube and the receiver adapter.

I'd recommend a conventional stock with a LOP that is comfortable for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Choate doesn't make a 1 shot extension for this gun but Vang does for the 590A1. The mag tube on this gun is like the 590A1 with an 18.5" barrel. The 835 tube extension will probably fit it also because I don't believe Mossberg would use different size threads on their 835. The 835 tubes will be to long for it. I know the mag tube extension on the Mossberg 930 SPX will fit it but it is to long. Why get a one shot extension when you can have a 2 shot ext.

The Vang extension is about 2" long and will give you 1 shot. My extension is 4" long and will give you 2 shots. It is about a 1/4" from the end of the barrel giving the breacher crown a little room. I can make it a little shorter if anyone wants to use a side or bottom sling plate adapter on their gun.

GC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FMD said:
winchester1300 said:
I am gonna add an ATI collapsable stock and an ATI foreend pistol grip, I have read that ATI is at the lower end of quality, but this is for function, or is the ATI such low quality I have to worry about failuire.
I know I'm going to get some flak for this, but:

1) PG stocks on Mossbergs don't allow you to engage/disengage the safety from a firing grip. This makes them ALL an unsafe addition in my book.

2) Straight, AR15-type stocks (like the ATI unit) on shotguns enhance recoil. There is a reason the comb on normal shotgun stocks is angled. Inline stocks are great for low-recoiling semi- and full-auto rifles, but shotguns have heavy recoil, and pumps don't shoot semi-auto.

3) Due to that enhanced recoil, the plastic tube attached to the plastic pistol grip on the ATI unit (I had one for my 870) must be reinforced if you will be shooting a lot. I ran an extra screw vertically throgh the middle (top down) in addition to the two screws provided with the stock before I sold it off.

Bottom Line: On a Mossberg, you can't get to the safety the way you should with the ATI unit, and it will enhance recoil to the point that it will be very painful to shoot with full-power loads (ask me how I know this). This recoil will in turn stress not only you, but the bareley-adeqaute interface between the collapsible stock tube and the receiver adapter.

I'd recommend a conventional stock with a LOP that is comfortable for you.
Alot of good info thnx

The safety issue is a non issue with me I have owned firearms since I was 12 and was taught every gun is loaded and ready to fire (even if you just unloaded it) so I don't see a need to quickly engage or disengage the safety. I will only be placing a few rounds through the gun just to get familiar with it, it is purely a JIC weapon.

Also I weight just shy under 300 pounds, I am not worried about recoil but it is good to know it will increse it.

Lookinging at the pictures of mossbergs with the ar-15 type stock see it is quite small where the pistol grip attatchs to the tube and is why I wondered about durability.

I did not know mossberg uses ATI stocks.

Does anyone have a pic of a lighted mounted underneath the fore pistol grip?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top