Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some information about this gun please, it was passed down to me from my grandfather, he had it for several years , ive had it for 8. It has a gold trigger and the # i found on it is 762 85854. It was made in belguim and its a browning light 20, i have the extra barrel that came with it and also the box it came in. The gun is a used but well taken care of no scratches except for on the wood stock and theres just a few , not deep scratches. My grandfather kept it cleaned and oiled, since ive had it its been hanging on a gun rack. Any information yall could help me with would be greatly appreciated i would love to know everything about it.Again thanks...harlie_girl2u

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Chances are it is a semi-automatic Browning A5.

One of thee most popular semi-automatic shotguns ever made. It was most likely produced by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium for the Browning corporation. Later on in production, Miroku in Japan took over and made these guns.

Depending on condition and year of manufacturer as well as wook quality and rib style, your gun could be worth $400 to $1400.

You could date your gun by looking here: http://www.browning.com/services/dategu ... .asp?id=13

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i made a mistake when i wrote the numbers on the gun down, it was 8 years ago.. The correct # is76Z (on top of) 35854. Also more info.. On the end of the stock (view as if on right shoulder a design like this () but lookes like ear of corn with bows at top and bottom. the top right under bow looking thing is R in a circle..In the middle is FN ..... On the outsides of () Automatic on left side ( ...word is following the curve..starting at bottom following curve to top.....on right side Browning ) word starts at top of curve follows curve to bottom... Not sure of barrel lenth because i dont know where to measure from..Any help would be appreciated and as yall can see how ive explained this gun please remember i am a woman...lol....And since 1983 when my father died i lost intrest in learning or using them since dad wasnt with me.. Thanks ahead well just for reading this girls posts....Any info will be greatly appreciated....harlie_girl2u

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I'm thinking this is a later model A5 since I don't think they had a "Z" in the serial number until after 1976. I could be wrong though.

The FN on the butt plate stands for Fabrique Nationale as I posted earlier. Since it is a late model, it is probably made of plastic.

Does the gun kind of look like this?

You measure the barrel length from the start of the chamber to the end of the barrel.

There is a gentleman on this board by the name of A5Guy who is really knowledgeable on these guns. Maybe he will chime in.

:)

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The gun is a 20 gauge Browning Auto 5 Lightweight made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale. It was made in 1976 (76Z). That year Browning made two versions of the A5 20 Gauge,the Lightweight and the 3" Magnum(76X).

The barrel is measured from the chamber to the muzzle. The choke is designated by these marks on the barrel. *=Full, *-=Imp Mod, **=Mod, **-=Imp Mod, **$=Skeet and ***= Cly.

Do not shoot steel shot or Hevishot in any Belgium barrel. You can go to the Browning website and download an Owner's Manual. The Owner's manual will show you how to operate the gun and set the friction rings for heavy loads and light loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello yall thanks for all your help...I have more info..Its a 26 " barrel and its ribbed. On left side of barrel OKgZ15 then a g instead of being verticle with other numbers its horizonal circle part of the g facing the 5 then looks like some type small design then 20-70 circled then 158.. Also on left side of barrel
Browning Arms Company St. Louis MO & Montreal PO.under that Made in belgium....
Now on right side (shell ejector side)
**=Special Steel-20 *****-Shells 2 3/4 "..... Im not wanting to sellthis gun but id like to know the value.. This gun fires great and is in great working condition...ejects shells the way its supposed to and has never been the kind to jam....The wood is in better shape than i thought still shinny..piece on end of stock is plastic (black)but the rest of stock is wood... thank you all once again... My hubby said its a sweet shooting gun...

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
A two barrel set, Light-20 A5 in excellent condition, Belgium made will command a premium buck.

I would say close to $1000.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The numbers and letters that you describe are the proof marks and thet designate the inspector's code number and dates. The 20-70 mark designates that the barrel is a 20 gauge with a 70mm chamber( 2 3/4").

I agree that the gun,as described would sell in the $1000 range (quick sale) and should be insured for about $1500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts