Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An example of how those weaker people become dependent on the benevolence of others.
Should we not strive to make others more independent and responsible not more dependent.
This is not to say that the poor woman should have been in a mental health facility where she would have appeared to be "overqualified "for the services.

A woman who was recently released from prison in Oregon robbed a bank in Wyoming only to throw the cash up in the air outside the building and sit down to wait for police, authorities said Friday.

Investigators say 59-year-old Linda Patricia Thompson told them she wanted to go back to prison.

Thompson replied, 'I just robbed the bank, I want to go back to prison,'"
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fbi- ... n-41005294

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
It's called Retirement, Plan B.

You get that when prisons are comfortable enough places for some people.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Our old barber in town said that in the 50's and even as late as the 60's that some men, down on their luck, would take a rock and throw it through a big plate glass window to go to jail or prison for a while, just to escape the rigors of life.

Which is why prisons and jails need to be worse than the welfare system.

Reagan called it the social safety net.

We have to be our brother's keeper, if he can't keep himself.

But it needs to be the minimal amount consistent with Christianity.

Otherwise we turn men into bums, you know?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
SuperXOne said:
But it needs to be the minimal amount consistent with Christianity.
That's right and who better to administer such programs than local churches? They know who actually needs help and who doesn't. Not some bureaucrat who's job it is to hand out all the money in his budget every year, so he will get more to give away next year.

But since our beloved government stuck its nose into charity, churches have somewhat abdicated their role and use the money to build bigger churches.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must look at this action and the actions of more than a few as a testament to the humane way in which we provide for the least of our citizens and yet some complain.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
I bet no one from Gitmo will want to rob a bank and wait.

Make prisons what they suppose to be and that will end. better yet clear space with executions for those deserving.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Growing up, I learned this song about a wino. There aren't many winos left nowadays.

I heard it over the radio above the door in the milk parlor, in Daddy's milk barn the first time, and I can still see me and Daddy both straining to hear it over the sound of the milkers.

If you don't remember the first time you heard Porter Wagoner sing "Charlie's Picture" then I pity you, because you'll have to settle for YouTube:

Unlike most of our songs our family sings, Charlie's Picture was written in modern times by Larry Kingston and Franck Dycus, and it's hard to sing and very difficult to pick or play the tune on any instrument, and it's likely to be copyrighted even still. It takes one helluva singer and a picker to properly perform Charlie's Picture, but our family always took a stab at it anyway, and I know all the words and give it my best shot at singing it.

But the song is so rich with irony, there are still young kids on YouTube that make up music videos using Charlie's Picture.

The song leads the listener to believe that a drunk named Charlie has picture of a lost lover in a locket he wears around his neck upon a chain. You could not see the face in Charlie's (or Charly's) picture, just long brown hair and a poem in the frame.

The singer is part of a merry crowd that mocks Charlie, and tries to get him (or her) to see the picture of Charlie's lost lover, but they "couldn't even tempt him (or her) with the wine".

With trembling hands, he'd tightly clutch the picture, and he'd recite the poem, one more time

You've graced this frame, the picture of perfection

While I'm the perfect picture of disgrace

And I swear upon your name until I'm worthy

I forbid my eyes to look upon your face

The wino froze to death one Sunday morning, and his tempters and mockers found him, and with trembling hands they removed the poem,

And I guess you know the rest.

My Daddy said Charlie's Picture was one of the finest songs ever written.

And when my old Mama was dying in the nursing home, she said that she'd like to have Charlie's Picture sang at her funeral by me, but ONLY if I could get every word just right and find somebody to play the piano PERFECTLY to accompany me.

And I said Mama, people won't want to hear about some old wino dying in an alley at your funeral

And Mama said, but if it saves one soul from becoming a drunk, it would be worth it.

And we both laughed.

We both understood the meaning of the song, a long time ago.

Do you?

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must realize that an institution gives structure to a life plus those who just don't fit in and have no friends can fit in and have a friend or two within an institution and staff can and will otherwise have to respect them.
That and the church groups will come in and give great fellowship to jailhouse christians who will steal, assault and commit sexual offenses when given the chance.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Every Sunday, my Daddy milked and then we went together as a family to the Humansville Christian Church, which had no locks anywhere on any doors.

My Daddy didn't have to open up the church doors, because the doors were never locked.

But our church was governed by an elected board of elders who were chosen to serve, and I'm proud to say that not one time did I ever sit in the pews that my Daddy, who didn't even have a high school education, didn't stand up there as the lay leader of the church and read announcements, and a short message, lead one song, and start communion. Only after communion, did we have a university trained Christian minister take over from Daddy and deliver the sermon.

Afterwards we could either go ask the minister questions, or go out into the world refreshed and ready for Christian service.

Now, for those who weren't so privileged to grow up in my church, remember that a church building is just sticks and boards,,,,and the church is everybody who loves their fellow man just as much as they do the Lord.

Go ahead, if you'd like, and say that the Christian churches can feed the poor and clothe the needy, and heal the sick and take in the stranger, without some help from the greatest nation that's ever graced this globe.

Because you'll need all the excuses you can get when you stare into the face of Jesus Christ.

Listen again to Charlie's Picture, enough times that you get the ending right.

I have lots of songs about visiting those in prison, too.

But I don't think the Good Lord would want to hear that we had prisons for those who didn't want to freeze to death one Sunday morning.

(Any more than He'd want to hear that we had "no workhouses" in the Christmas Carol.

"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

Charles Dickens)

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't help but remember the inmate with arms full of Satanist tattoos who became "saved" in prison and became a favorite with outside visitors and during the weekend fellowship sleepovers due to his testimony.
Had several convictions for sex offenses before he was finally on probation on which he was on a roofing crew and asked a neighboring female to use her restroom then raped her and then retuned to the roofing crew.
After being a good christian in prison he was sent to have a pre release evaluation at a secure medical facility.
There he tricked a female staff member and put an improvised weapon at the base of her throat and proceeded to rape her. Put the point of a Bik pen at your throat and consider how well you would follow orders.
She informed a male staff member, the one who related this account to me, and Greg found the pervert hiding in a locker, had him turn around and cuffed him.
As an experienced con the pervert got a cigarette and matches from his pocket and was smoking. Greg snatched the cigaret from the mouth pervert/jailhouse christian as he thought it was just a tad inappropriate.
Said inmate became agitated because he really need a smoke.
With about four or five prior sexual assaults said inmate should certainly have been up for a life or at least habitual offender status but received the standard 25 year sentence.
This happened in a University community and need I say which party honored the judge at his retirement.
Do believe I read that the offender had been slapped with a civil commitment to keep him under treatment and that there was a subsequent legal proceedings underway to prevent the state from violating his civil liberties.
Sometimes it is best to deal with reality other than theory.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Sadly, there are no more public hangings.

Sometimes, the story should end with 13 steps and a rope, and a sad old Padre,,,,

Or otherwise really bad for the black hearted soul that rapes or hates or otherwise falls outside the pale of forgiveness on this earth, like in the song "The Devil Was Laughing at Me"

or the Green, Green Grass of Home.

I'd pick a few more, but I have to go shoot this morning, and the iced tea is ready.:)

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
cbxchris said:
Chris,

I know what you were trying to say, but the reality is just that. Gitmo hasn't been any sort of deterrent. Of course most or all of the parolees went right back to being terrorists.

True, they waited to they got clear of us before ru turning to their war with us. No one ever said they are crazy or lazy, like the dopey woman in the OP.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
nody said:
cbxchris said:
Chris,

I know what you were trying to say, but the reality is just that. Gitmo hasn't been any sort of deterrent. Of course most or all of the parolees went right back to being terrorists.

True, they waited to they got clear of us before ru turning to their war with us. No one ever said they are crazy or lazy, like the dopey woman in the OP.
NO, it really hasn't.

Haven't heard to much about the great prisoner swap here lately have we....I got a hunch Trump will bring that back up. Lots of things like cash for clunkers will surface in the next 100 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.