Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Can someone please tell me how easy it is to fit a 16 gauge A5 invector barrel (Japanese) to a Belgian 16 gauge A5? I don't mean actually putting the barrel on, rather is every *** barrel interchangeable with the Belgian guns?

I have a particular reason for asking this as I am looking at a 1913 Standard 16 and wondering if I had an invector barrel if it would fit. Also, are sweet barrels interchangeable with standard?

I'm just learning about A5s and finding this forum a fantastic resource - thank you all!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Be aware that your gun is a 2 9/16" chamber and the invector barrels have 2 3/4" chambers, you may have forend issues to deal with. Read the sticky on the top of the forum about converting short chamber 65mm to 70 mm..

SH

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guessing you don't own said barrel yet........

1. They can be found with some effort.

2. It will likely cost as much or more than the gun you described.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3rdbuttondown said:
I guessing you don't own said barrel yet........

I don't have ANY part of an A5 - yet :)
In that wonderful phase of researching just what my options are for my first A5 so reading a lot, playing with every A5 I can get my hands on and asking a few dumb questions ;-)

Thanks for your input and thanks to everyone else too for this great resource!

·
Registered
386 Posts
In addition to the different chamber length and associated issues mentioned above, the early 16g A5's had a narrower slot milled in the barrel extension for the left extractor. This slot was widened sometime between 1912 and 1913, near as I have been able to determine. These earliest barrels will not fit on later guns. Additionally, I'd imagine that if a later 2-9/16" barrel was installed on a 1913 or earlier gun, the left extractor would wear prematurely and be susceptible to breakage as it would be undersized and not supported. I have not tried it, and don't like the idea of a piece of metal potentially breaking off and floating around in the action. BTW, the same goes for the early 12g guns...they also had a narrower extractor slot milled in the barrel extension.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks for all your help. I've had my eye out for a 16 gauge A5 for some years and only ever seen 3 (1 in pics, 1 in pieces and 1 to handle) and have never handled a sweet 16. So rather than try and find something locally I'll be buying something in the States. I hope no one minds too much that one of your iconic guns will be winging its way haf way round the world to deal to mallards, teal, pigeons and quail - and in your off-season!

The 16 gauge in pieces locally is the 1913 gun hence the questions. I really do want adjustable chokes because of the range of game that it will shoot. Quail flushing in heavy cover require skeet or you end up with more lead than flesh, pigeons and ducks require much longer shots. I shoot 16 gauge already so have a good understanding of the loads and chokes I need for maximum efficiency. So, I probably need a Japanese gun for the chokes, but I'm just exploriing all my options.

Thanks again!
Ross

1 - 9 of 9 Posts