Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
You need to provide more info: If the gun is a 590A1SP the $430 price is about $40 over dealer cost so that is a good price. If it is just a 590SP with GRS it is to high.

A 590SP WITH heat shield Park finish bead sight should cost around $370 low retail.

590SP with GRS about $400 low retail

If the guns have speed feed stocks they will cost about $30 more

GC

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
All M590A1s are 590s, but not all 590s are M590A1s and most aren't.

All regular 590s are in the 50xxx build (item) numbers. All M590A1s are in the 51xxx build numbers. The build numbers are not on the gun, they are on the box. If you can't see the boxes for some reason, refer to Mossbergs web site: http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... play=specs . Also, if it is a M590A1, it will be stamped such on the left side of the reciever.

I paid $350 for my M590A1, which was $50 below the dealer's regular price of $400. For the #51663, which is what I have, I would expect most dealers to be in the $425 to $450 range. As Max says, if it is a #51668 with the Speedfeed stock the Mossberg retail is $43 more so adjust up accordingly.

As I have said before, if I were doing it again today I would buy the less expensive and lighter 590 in either build numbers 50663 or 50668 as I prefer GRS. Regular 590s are perfectly fine for HD, and maybe even then they are overkill (no pun intended). A cheap 18" 500 Persuader or 870 Express that spends most of its life sitting in your closet will work just as well, they just don't have the same cool factor.

M590A1s are built to go to war, but get one if it tickles your fancy. Just know in advance they are heavier than the regular 590s even though the Mossberg web site says they weigh the same. I can easily feel the difference between the 2.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dealer cost has increase on the Mossberg 590 and Mossberg will probably go up again after the first of the year. You may find some good deals on new and used ones on one of the auction sites but you will have to pay shipping and transfer fees.

GC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies but does anybody knows if some A1s come with a heat shield? I thought they didn't due to the heavy barrel but the ones at this store do have the h.s. which makes me wonder.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ihavashotgun said:
Thanks for all the replies but does anybody knows if some A1s come with a heat shield? I thought they didn't due to the heavy barrel but the ones at this store do have the h.s. which makes me wonder.
Are you sure it is a M590A1? What is Mossberg's build (item) number for that SG? Mossberg does not currently list such an animal on their web site. Witout being there to see the SG, I believe you are looking at a regular 590, not a M590A1.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ihavashotgun said:
I totally missed your post yesterday wherein you said they had heatshields. I believe you are looking at regular 590 Special Purpose models, not M590A1s.

But you haven't helped us much with other information such as barrel length, shell capacity, finish, etc., which would be necessary to determine what you are really looking at. They might even be 500s, not 590s, for all I know.

And several of us have told you how to tell if it really was a M590A1, but you haven't given any feedback as to what you found. natew73 even posted a picture. So until we get more, I am done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's my understanding as well that the heatshield is only available from the factory on the standard weight barrels.

I was able to pick-up a 590A1 (20"Heavy Wt Barl, GRS, park) for $450 last week. Prices at most places around me are running $465-$485 (Southeast Pa).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the store by phone to enquire about it and they told me it was an M590A1 with the h.s. but I will check for the M590A1 stamp on the receiver next time I go to the store to make sure. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MAX100 said:
The 590A1 don't come with a heat shield because of the heavy barrel. They must be 590SP.

A good price for the one with GRS around $400

The one without GRS around $370

GC
I wouldn't pay $400 for a regular 590 GRS or not. Not when you can pay $50-$75 more and get the heavy barrel and metal trigger guard and metal safety. JMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
MAX100 said:
If he is just going to use it mostly for home defense and shooting for fun why add the extra weight and extra cost. If he don't mind the extra weight or extra cost you are right and he should go for the heavy barrel 590A1.

GC
You are correct. I actually like the extra weight. It feels like a friggin tank. The extra weight also makes the recoil more managable. It's much better than my 870 21" and my Winchester 1300 NWTF 18" turkey gun. The Winchester is down right painful with 3" mags. but it's super lightweight. I'm also a big guy so the weight really isn't a factor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was indeed an A1 but the price was $510. The one they told me was $400 was just a standard 590. Apparently the clerk didn't know much about'em because he told me the A1s all came with heat shield but I proved him wrong. $510 is too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am glad we were able to help you. Yes, gun stork clerks not knowing what they are talking about is a frequently discussed issue around here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Austin12Gauge said:
http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=MOSS-51663

$399 plus shipping to FFL, so yes, $430 local plus sales tax is still a good deal, if it really is a M590A1, that is.
Mossberg lists the M590A1 Heavy Barrel Model as item #51663 on their web page.

Looks like the same weapon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts