Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Bel-Dad- Thanks for the plug. My website is below if I can be of assistance to anyone regarding barrel weights.

I went through the same thing trying to get a 9.5lb carrier barrel kolar to weigh and balance like the 10.5lb Citori I was used to. Lead tape on my subgauge tubes was the first solution (the "weight" part of my problem), and worked quite well for a couple years, accompanied by hollowing the stock out to move the balance forward. Next step was removing the lead tape, putting a 4oz 1/4" tall aluminum add-on rib on my gun (killing 2 birds with one stone, getting my head up above the receiver and adding weight) in addition to my 4oz forend weights. The precision fit stock was the final piece of the puzzle, now my guns weighs close to what my browning did (10lb 4oz w/ my current setup vs 10.5lbs w/the citori, if I remember right), but its lightyears ahead of the browning in terms of pointability.

The only issue with the clamp-on weights is when your trying to match the gun with tubes in, is you can either get the weight to match, or the balance to match, but not both, because the weight of the tubes is spread out over the length of the barrel, not just in one spot like the clamp on weight. You could match the weight and balance of the tubes w/ a 14oz weight (give or take depending on the exact weight of the tubes) provided you could put it at the EXACT balance point of the barrels w/ the tubes in, but the forend usually gets in the way of that point, so you are forced to put a lighter weight further out to match the balance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.