Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Browning Citori CXS 20 ga. and have experienced a half dozen or so "fail to fire" on the second shot; most recently yesterday while pheasant hunting with it. All previous fails were on sporting clays ranges and I attributed it to the light target ammo but yesterday I was using 1oz. steel field loads. Is this a common issue with newer Citoris and is there a known fix? I've had a Citori 20 ga. early '90's era Field Grade for more than 25 years and have never had a problem with that gun.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Most likely it is because you are not fully releasing the trigger after the first shot. First thing to try, is let someone else shoot it, and see if it is still a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean the receiver, firing pins and firing pin channels. Then replace the lower firing pin and spring if it's the bottom barrel.
Yesterday it was top barrel that didn't fire and when I shoot sporting clays, I usually shoot bottom barrel (improved cylinder) first since I'm trying to take closest target with first shot on true pairs. After my last round of clays a couple of weeks ago, I pulled the stock off and used a solvent on the springs and trigger mechanism. I was anticipating factory grease inside but it was very clean before I used my solvent. No grime or dirt showed on white cotton that I wiped it down with after the solvent. Someone at the club suggested that too much shoulder pad or not fully seating the stock in my shoulder before firing could cause a problem. Again, my older Citori has never failed to fire so it is a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Most likely it is because you are not fully releasing the trigger after the first shot. First thing to try, is let someone else shoot it, and see if it is still a problem.
Hmm...interesting thought. I did have one of my "fail to fires" on clays fire the second time I tried; too late for my target, but could suggest I didn't fully release after my first shot. I've never had a problem with my older Citori but perhaps this one is more sensitive. Since It only happens occasionally for me, I'd have to have someone shoot a full round with it.

I don't shoot sporting clays for score, just for practice, so every station I'm just shooting true pairs. That means about five or six percent of the time I'm getting a fail to fire.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
It's not common for a new Citori.

There are too many missing details to diagnose a possible problem. Is the hammer dropping? Is the FTF always on the bottom barrel or top barrel, or does it alternate? Is the primer dented at all when it fails to fire?

·
Premium Member
20,025 Posts
Hmm...interesting thought. I did have one of my "fail to fires" on clays fire the second time I tried, too late for my target, but could suggest I didn't fully release after my first shot. I've never had a problem with my older Citori but perhaps this one is more sensitive. Since It only happens occasionally for me, I'd have to have someone shoot a full round with it.
Anytime that you have a fail to fire with an O/U, you should remove your finger from the trigger, wait a moment or two, and then, if safe to do so, pull the trigger again. If the gun fires on the second pull, then it's almost certain that you trapped the trigger the first time. This means that you didn't fully release the trigger so that trigger could reset for the second shot.

This is kind of a "newbie" mistake, but may occasionally happen to an experienced shooter for other reasons such as cold weather and wearing gloves and not really pulling the trigger as they thought they did, or not really releasing the trigger as they thought they did.

Reactions: 28ga. and RossRR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anytime that you have a fail to fire with an O/U, you should remove your finger from the trigger, wait a moment or two, and then, if safe to do so, pull the trigger again. If the gun fires on the second pull, then it's almost certain that you trapped the trigger the first time. This means that you didn't fully release the trigger so that trigger could reset for the second shot.

This is kind of a "newbie" mistake, but may occasionally happen to an experienced shooter for other reasons such as cold weather and wearing gloves and not really pulling the trigger as they thought they did, or not really releasing the trigger as they thought they did.
Well, since it did it once, it could well be me. I plan to get out and shoot a round this weekend so I'll be extra conscious of fully releasing the trigger.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

...and remember that tomorrow is Veteran's Day...to everyone who has put on a uniform for our country: "Thank you for your service and remember those who gave more."

·
Registered
373 Posts
I purchased a CXS a few weeks ago. First time out, it jammed up and wouldn't fire at all. The trigger was frozen solid. I worked the action over and over again until I could get it to fire. When I went home, I took the stock off and thoroughly cleaned the action. There was a LOT of lube in there. Since then, the gun has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I was thinking about my issue and the possibility that I was the problem, it occurred to me that the 14-3/4" LOP could well be the reason if I am indeed trapping the trigger. I may just need to get accustomed to that long length of pull.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Clean the receiver, firing pins and firing pin channels. Then replace the lower firing pin and spring if it's the bottom barrel.
I made this mistake.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, since it did it once, it could well be me. I plan to get out and shoot a round this weekend so I'll be extra conscious of fully releasing the trigger.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

...and remember that tomorrow is Veteran's Day...to everyone who has put on a uniform for our country: "Thank you for your service and remember those who gave more."
Describe your failure to fire.

did the trigger lock up and you couldn’t pull it?

or did you hear the click and it didn’t go bang?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Describe your failure to fire.

did the trigger lock up and you couldn’t pull it?

or did you hear the click and it didn’t go bang?
First barrel fired but when I pulled the trigger for second barrel, it didn't go "click". The trigger moved but hammer didn't fall and gun didn't fire. On the one occasion that I mentioned, I pulled the trigger again and it fired.

·
Registered
459 Posts
First barrel fired but when I pulled the trigger for second barrel, it didn't go "click". The trigger moved but hammer didn't fall and gun didn't fire. On the one occasion that I mentioned, I pulled the trigger again and it fired.
Sounds exactly what happened to me when I started shooting earlier this year. My problem was that I wasn’t fully releasing the trigger for the second shot.
I also shoot a browning.

I also had the other problem where it goes click but but doesn’t fire. That’s a different and real problem

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Good thread, I'm thinking about buying this exact gun. I've read nothing but good reviews. It probably is the trigger release, especially if you select the other barrel and it is consistently the second shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished a round of SC and shot all stations true pairs. Had one fail to fire and I had trapped the trigger. Nice that I was conscious of the condition because I quickly released and pulled again and salvaged that pair.

I had contacted Browning prior to posting this thread and they responded that they would send a prepaid shipping label so they could look the gun over. I’ll get back to them and let them know the problem is being resolved. Thanks again for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been shooting semiauto's and O/U's for fifty plus years, trap, 5-stand, skeet, sporting clays and field and this is my first encounter with trapping a trigger. It has to be the longer trigger pull of the CXS. Kinda nice to learn something new once in a while. ;)

I also see that Tap-a-talk has created a new account for me so that I can now talk to myself. LOL!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts