Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the gun logs that dealers keep showing receipt and sales, what is the correct procedure for taking a gun back and replacing it with another? Does the dealer enter the gun as a complete new transaction? How would you handle this?

I believe that there are some FFLs and other guys on this forum that are knowledgeable about this type of transaction.

The thread that has been running for a few days has me wondering about legalities of the transaction. Since BATF thrives on legalities, I am interested to know how you would enter this in your book and would you do another transaction form.

I am not trying to run this into the ground. Just trying to get my mind straight. Things have changed a lot since my days in LEO.

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thinking! Thank you for your reply. Fortunately, not every state has the 10-day rule.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Is this a technical violation?

How would you handle this transaction to avoid grief?

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you use white out if you made an error when doing it right? You've done everything by the book but you wrote down something by looking at the S/N wrong, maybe transposing the number? Or would you line through the transaction and start over with an explanation?

I know how technical the auditors can get. I don't think they have changed much since my days in LE. They love to catch a t uncrossed or an i not dotted.

Is white out ever used in your transaction bound book? I was never a BATF agent but I knew a few that would give jello a case of nerves. There was one agent that I knew that was so strict that the dealers he audited couldn't keep coffee in their cups while he was using a microscope on their invoices, bound book, and procedures.

I suppose that a lot of things have changed since my time but human nature being what it is, some people can't handle authority. It seems to make their day when they have the upper hand and can harass someone. They don't know the definition of good judgement.

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bobshouse, how about in the transaction ledger, the bound book. Can you line through an error and start over with an explanation? Is this allowed now?

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I now have a better understanding. Nothing has changed since my time in LE. Procedure still must be strictly followed.

Thanks to all who responded.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and Happy Hunting!

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clyde, my thinking exactly. The posters that answered this thread are pros. They know the way it MUST be done.

It appears to that in order to save a thief's hide, this guy has put his FFL in serious jeopardy. BATF does not play around. I knew some of these agents a few years ago, was called on by them to check out some questionable purchases, etc. They will pull your ticket in a heartbeat for any reason that they can find. You have to go to Federal Court to get a stay. Then go back to persuade the judge that you made an honest error.

It ain't worth it to save the wife's kin from learning a much learned lesson. Attorney's fees alone will eat up a lot of the profits he might make-- if he can get his FFL back.

Nope, it just ain't worth the trouble. Do it right, by the book. As careless as this FFL holder seems to be, a judge can find several errors in the many transactions in this one matter, IMHO. One FFL I knew some years ago would not allow white out in his business for any reason. I think I know why.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.