Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Beretta AL391 (walnut stock) semi-auto for dove hunting, plus occational trap & skeet. Here in the Dallas area, I can get the 391 with the Mobile Choke system for $699, or the 391 with the Optima Chokes for $799.

I have been told that the $699 gun at Oshman's is last year's model, while the $799 Optima gun at Academy is the lastest model with backboring and the new style chokes. What are the differences in these two guns? Will the Optima improvements be noticable in the field? Will it affect the resale value several years from now? Which one would you purchase? Why?

I appreciate your input, I have a lot to learn!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BradyB,Take this for what it may be worth...I don't normally shoot autoloaders,but for the last month I have just about quit shooting my 682 and have been "playing" with several older autos. While using my 1100 I began to experience some trigger problems and borrowed several different guns including a 391 with the optima bbl. I honestly could not tell any difference in how it shot compared to an older 391. I actually preferred the feel of a 390, and from what I read here you can find a very good 390 with a shorter (26-28" bbl) for around $400 on ebay.
If you don't have your heart set on a new gun you might consider shooting a 390...or think about a Techny (sp?) as they feel a lot like a 390 but cost around $1,500!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts