Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for some time used the Polywad Spread-R inserts with great success but they have sold out now for every gage at Precision Reloading and Polywads "Shop" page of their web site is non-functional. Have they stopped producing their products?

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you need these I have a bunch of these that I bought a few years ago and would sell to you. I am unlikely to use them. What gauge are you looking for?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you need these I have a bunch of these that I bought a few years ago and would sell to you. I am unlikely to use them. What gauge are you looking for?
12 and 20 gage Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I hope it’s just a temporary pause. I’ve used their Spread-R 16 gauge shells and they worked great. I could shoot Skeet with a full choke, and actually hit a few.

When I started reloading, I found these, which seem to work equally well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope it’s just a temporary pause. I’ve used their Spread-R 16 gauge shells and they worked great. I could shoot Skeet with a full choke, and actually hit a few.

When I started reloading, I found these, which seem to work equally well.

I have tons of X-Stream and Dispersor-X wads. Here's the issue: The X-stream only works in 12 gage. The Dispersor-X wad in 12 gage is absolutely fantastic and I have tons of those in stock, but the Dispersor-X wad in 20 gage is poor just like all the 20 ga. Gualandi wads because the shot cup on all of their 20 ga. wads is waaaayyy too small (on 7/8 oz. loads almost 50% of the shot is outside the shot cup of the wad). I most desperately need 20 gage Spread-R inserts but I also would take 12 gage if they are available. HEck, I have been loading my last 16 gage Spread-R inserts into 20 gage shells because, albeit tight, they also fit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have found through my own pattern testing that an .070 nitro card over the shot gives essentially the same performance as the Spred-R inserts. A 16ga Lefever goes from 79% at 40 yards with 3/4 ounce of #8 to 39-40% with either a Spred-R insert or an .070 nitro card on top of the shot.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I can’t speak to 20 gauge, as I only load for my 16’s. Generally for my short chambered 16’s with full chokes. And the X-Stream spreader has worked great, especially when I cut the petals off the wads like BPI advises.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike here on the forum had some supplies in store and sold me a bunch that gets me down the road a bit. Thanks Mike!!! Was super nice chatting with you!! Still unsure if Polywad is still in business ??:confused:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I really like the X-inserts in 12 gauge for shooting through modified choke for targets inside 30 yards. The Polywad inserts are a little better for 15 to 20 yard targets, but we just don't see many of those.

I also did not have much luck with the X-insert in 20 gauge, but didn't notice this where it states to not use a shotcup in 20 gauge. Actually as I recall, all of the X-inserts are the same size?
Rectangle Font Circle Art Pattern

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I really like the X-inserts in 12 gauge for shooting through modified choke for targets inside 30 yards. The Polywad inserts are a little better for 15 to 20 yard targets, but we just don't see many of those.

I also did not have much luck with the X-insert in 20 gauge, but didn't notice this where it states to not use a shotcup in 20 gauge. Actually as I recall, all of the X-inserts are the same size?
View attachment 57204
I know ... I know .... True ! .... but I really hate to shoot brush wads or wads with trimmed petals because of barrel and choke leading. For 12 gage the Gualandi Super-G spreader wad (BPI sells it repackaged as the Dispersor-X) is absolutely fantastic because it holds a full 1 1/8 oz of shot and gives a nice even spread. Perfect for rabbits up to 25 yds. since I shoot IM//IM. It just works. Period. For 12 gage I could also use the X-Stream insert in my Federal or Gualandi sporting wads .... but for 20 gage all of Gualandi's wads, whether the Super-G or Super-G spreader wads truly suck. I have them and trial-loaded them .... They don't even hold 3/4 oz. shot. with a 7/8 oz. load half of the shot is outside the wad cup. I need something that works with the Claybuster 20 ga. 7.8 oz. wad which ahs a deep shotcup.As much as I love the Gualandi 12 gage wads, their 20 gage wads are not for me.

Reactions: Texstucker
1 - 16 of 16 Posts