Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a charity SC event recently , I admit to only being a casual shooter and I haven't shot more than 2-3 rounds in the past couple of years. I was surprised by the fact that of the 16 stations offered only one required a true pair, the remainder being report pairs. Is this becoming the norm or just an attempt to soften up the course?

·
Premium Member
2006 Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade and a Beretta
8,430 Posts
No not at real events.

You were shooting a charity SC event.

They want it to be easy so more people break targets and will come back next year.

·
Registered
706 Posts
At charity events around East TX they throw true pair almost exclusively. Last weekend we only had three stations that were report. When you have volunteer trappers (kids last weekend) it is easier for them to throw true pair.

All registered events throw true pair.

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
Broaden your horizons. :D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sobrepuesta said:
But what I would like to see is a return to the singles/report/true pair menus in some of the stations...
You just described Super Sporting, which is my favorite event.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Rochester Brooks held a tournament that was pretty much all "true pairs" earlier this year. The first 100 clays were "easier" (at least that's what the menu said!). The second 100 clays were the difficult targets. (And some were damned near impossible!)

But I heard no real complaints afterwards.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
jwgworld said:
Sobrepuesta said:
But what I would like to see is a return to the singles/report/true pair menus in some of the stations...
You just described Super Sporting, which is my favorite event.
I know, I really like Super Sporting too.

I bring it up because a lot of people seem to think that sporting clays HAS to be all pairs. Maybe it has become that by custom but there is nothing in the rulebook that says you can't have singles, or a mix of singles/report/simo pairs in a station in regular sporting clays.

I do know some who would poop a brick if they showed up to a SC shoot and saw this on any station:
single A
single B
A o/r B
B o/r A
AB simo

instead of this
4 pair A o/r B

or
4 pair, AB simo

·
Registered
27,074 Posts
Not all report pairs are easier than true pairs. It all depends on the quality of the setter

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mostly true pairs at our club events but our electronic thrower will allow us to choose
1. True Pairs
2. Singles
3. A following B
4. B following A
5. Delay for one shooting by himself

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Most of our tournaments (Rochester Brooks) are a mix of report pairs and some true pairs. Very seldom are singles included. But at our stations, for practice or fun shooting, your group can choose whatever combination you want with our hand-operated electronic selectors. (You can even shoot alone by simply programming them with a delay of a few seconds.)

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
My club you can shoot singles, report pairs, true pairs, or delay, I like the option, and if you have your wife running the remote launcher, you never know what you are going to get :lol: :lol: :lol:

cdb

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
NTxAg said:
My son is 5.5 years old, he has been pulling for me since his 4th birthday. I just call pull and see what happens.
We took our granddaughter to the club and had her pulling shortly before her 5th B-day. Her enthusiasm improved a bunch when we 'negotiated' her fee to $0.05 per target...just don't try and give her a $5 instead of 5 $1's !! :lol:

She actually does a great job - better than my wife does - but the capper came when after a miss she said in all seriousness, "You were behind it, Grandpa." ...and she was right.

I was surprised to say the least, but my wife almost pissed herself she was laughing so hard! But it's those kinds of moments that make all the BS fade into the background.
:D :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I very well remember one target setter who set several US Opens and most of his pairs were report pairs. His targets were interesting, well thought out and a good test of skills for the shooters. I did not hear complaints. It was a refreshing change from mostly true pairs. Who remembers Dave Peckham? I will never forget him. I got to go out and shoot the difficult stations on all of the main event courses that he had set for the US Open at MN Horse and Hunt. Peckham, his son and I shot about two hours and I learned what he was thinking as he set the pairs. It was a tremendous eye opener. He certainly did not have to throw a true pair to make a pair a challenge.

True pairs should be part of the game. I do not like them when they force you to rush to the second bird in a short window. I want them to be fair. I do not care if they are report or true pairs. I want them to be where I can see them. No black on edge targets on dark backgrounds and no orange targets with a blue sky background. I want longer targets to show some dome or belly. The target pairs that are etched in my memory are the ones that looked like game birds, made me think about how to shoot them and at least one of the targets was past my comfortable range.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Stuck-N-Kali said:
but the capper came when after a miss she said in all seriousness, "You were behind it, Grandpa." ...and she was right.
Awe man, I can't wait for times like this! I have three grand babies that are nearly 3 years old, I am so looking forward to taking them out to the range...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.