Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get my gear, and was wondering if there was any difference between the various shell/hull pouches? Do I need one with two pouches? What about the mesh ones that snap open and empty with a zipper on the bottom.

I'm new to shotguns, and will have a semi-auto. I play to shoot trap and skeet.

So, which one is a good one to get, or are they all the same - and I should picke the color/shipping tha tsuits me best?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm primarily a skeet shooter and prefer a leather two-pocket pouch( one for the ammo and one for the empties). I like it to be thick enough to hold it's shape, even when empty, and dark enough to hide dirt and minor stains. It should also have a small pocket for ear plugs, brass knockout tool, etc. If you go with a good leather pouch, get a good belt, also. A good set should last for years with a little cleaning and conditioner application.
There are several good pouch makers. Some specializing in exotic hides and fancy engraving, but Lonesome Charlie make the best product for my money.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I went to my local gun shop looking for a pouch/belt that was fairly cheap. When I compared them side-by-side, it became obvious that the Bob Allen pouch was both cheaper and much better made than the Beretta pouch.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
+1 for Lonesome Charlie. The bag I've been using for the last 5 years was a discard from a friend... he used it for at least 10 years before that. It'll still be in use 20 years from now...

edit: fixed a typo

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
When I'm shooting skeet, I can just dump my rounds into any pouch and not think twice about it.

However, when I shoot trap, especially if I'm lead shooter, I like a pouch that my boxed shells will fit into, with a bag to hold the empties. This way whenever I reach down for a shell, I can feel how many shots I have left on each station. I know, I only have to be able to count to 5, but sometimes I forget.

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
I like the Lonesome Charlie 2 compartment pouches. I shoot Sporting clays and like to carry my main shell (1 oz 7.5's) in the main compartment and a few spreaders (1 oz 8's) in the 2d compartment. I also stuff a small towel in the 2d compartment cuz it's durn hot where I shoot and wiping off sweat is a priority.

Donn't over think it.....Just go shooting.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I really like the Beretta B1 pouch with the big back net bag that has a zipper on the bottom for easy dumping.
I like to put a whole box in there, box and all, and its deep enough that none will spill out while turning.
The back net section will hold about 3 boxes of empties and that important because when I shoot the autoloader, I might shoot 3 rounds or more before I pick up all the shells. Seems there are always a few from other folks too.
I did not care for the belt that came with this pouch though. The buckle is a stock destroyer.

I got mine on ebay for about $30.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Two compartments are good if and when you start collecting empties. Construction stiff enough to (mostly) retain its shape empty is important for consistency and ease of use.

Assuming these features are present I would focus on the construction of the belt and make sure it is wide and thick enough for comfort and that its buckling system provides easy closure and adjustment.

If you want or need to buy these two components separately a non-elastic wading belt does the job nicely.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead%C2%AE-Wa ... 36/-257664

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought a used pouch where I shoot SC, some guy must of cleared out his closet, paid 20 bucks for a Quilomene Apron style pouch that looked like it was never used. It's a great pouch but a new one is about eighty bucks.....tons of room for multiple loads, empties, fondue set, whatever you want to bring...check their web site, I believe the company is in Montana and upland vests are their specialty.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just bought this Buffalo River pouch from e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-RIVER-C ... 5991259179 and i was surprised at how nice it actually is , it's lite and holds it's shape while empty and it's not too big , you can dump a box of shells in and you have a compartment for chokes and smokes
, i only say this because i also have benelli canvas pouch from MGW and it's too big and heavy (even when empty) , i will add a pic later for side by side comparison , now the benelli pouch does hold 50 but i don't need more than 25 at a time since i bring a range bag with me anyway.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What works well for me (skeet/trap/5-stand) is a Filson two-compartment bag when shooting a gun that ejects empties waaaay far. I add a Beretta mesh bag for empties when shooting O/U or SxS.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
585 Posts
My club sells Lonesome Charlie bags with the club's logo on it. Pricey but it really IS the last shell pouch you'll ever need. I wouldn't get the soft pouch - the hard one is thicker and MUCH more durable. I've had it for about 2 years now and I'd say it's not even barely broken in yet. Before that I went through 4 pouches in 2 years. There are shooters at my club that have had theirs since the early 90's with no problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like you, I am new to Skeet, select a shell pouch, that you like.

Being a Scoutmaster for several years, I have found Zippers are not your friend.

They arn't repairable in the field and when properly repaired, it is a big expense.

For me I have a 2 compartment leather pouch from Lonsome Charlie, with no gromet holes.

But like everything else in this game, it's your call.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are just starting out, I'd go cheap and get something basic, then figure out what you really like after shooting with it for a while. No sense investing $100 - $200 for a really fancy vest/pouch and then finding out you don't like it.....If you like vests, the local Wal-Marts here carry red or black Winchester-branded vests with two front pouches (no rear (tail) pouch though, solid front, padded shoulders, mesh back, for $19.99.

-Oliver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gentlemen -

I thought I'd add my two cents to the conversation. I'm not as experienced as some but have found a nice bag for $50 that isn't too bad when compared to some others out there. I just picked up this "Shot Shell Bag" from Filson and am very pleased with the stiff leather and stitching. http://www.filson.com/products/shot...lsProduct=activity/shooting&fmetaProduct=aa13 Made in America. Free shipping until 12/15/11 with coupon code HUBFREEQ411 if you don't live near a store. I'm not affiliated with this company at all. Just like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.