Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see if you regularly take your HD gun out and shoot multiple rounds through it, a heat shield could keep you from getting your fingers burnt, but if it just sits in the closet and you use it in a home defense situation, I can't imagine firing more than 3 shots? Is there any other reason to have one? I guess they look cool. However, if you do shoot an attacker in a defense situation and you end up in court, could the fact that you have your gun tricked out with a heat shield, side saddle pistol grip buttstock combo and all the other accessories make you look like a gun nut just waiting for an intruder to come through your door and slant the judges or jury's opinion of you? Just wondering out loud so to speak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there any real reason to have a heat shield for HD?
Why, to get ready for Y2K of course! :lol:

I think you've already answered your original question (i.e. it serves no real use but looks cool).

As far as the inevitable after-shooting trial (at least civil if not criminal as well), who can really say? Depends on the temperament of the local population (and, presumably, by extension, the judge/jury as well). As long as the shooting was justified, some places wouldn't care if you defended yourself with a 20mm cannon while others would crucify you for failing to flee from your own home.

That said, after assessing the temperament of my locale, I removed the heat shield from my 590. It's ridiculous that I should even have to worry that it just might, possibly, maybe even be a small factor in the trial, but... as someone once told me, "It's just not enough to be right, you have to look right too." At the heart of the matter, I guess that I just don't have much faith in my "peers" :roll: .

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, if you actually use the gun in any competitions, the heat shield is really nice. After a string of even 7 or 8 rounds gets the back of the barrel hot enough to burn you. If you shoot a string of 20 or 25 it gets darn hot and painful even if it just touches you.

Now, if the gun just sits in the closet as a home defense weapon. It doesn't need a shield, or ammo.... it needs a trigger lock on it that has a lost key. Most people think a shotgun doesn't require any practice or training to use. I think if you are not willing to become very proficient with a weapon you are better off not having one. Shotguns are actually quite complex in a tactical or defense environment. If you are going to risk your life and the life of your family on your skill, you need to be able to move and hit with it. Mama or one of the kids could be very close to the perp. when he starts to pull the trigger on one of them or you. Without much practice, will you be sure where a load of buck will go at 15 or 20 feet. Will you be able to get that load between the wall on the left and the relative on the right and hit the guy with the knife through the 6" hole between them?

I apologize for going on, but the point is clear. No gun should sit idle if it is a defensive weapon. Use it, learn it, grow to love it!

As for the notion that having a heat shield will look bad in court.... This has been put forward about everything from hollowpoint pistol ammo on. I have never seen a real case where it mattered. I have not seen a great many, but it seems to be more urban legend that good legal advice.

DGA

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to agree. The heat shield serves little purpose on a Tactical weapon. You rarely see them on LE guns or Military shotguns. You tend to fire 2-3 rounds in rapid succession, then there usually is nothing left to hit.

On, the jury thing, I have heard both ways. More than likely you won't have to worry as long as you follow the "Proper Home Defense Procedure

1. Call the Police.
2. Attempt to escape danger.
3. Announce to the intruder that you are armed, and they should leave immediately.
4. Stay where you are, and only shoot if the intruder has put you or a family members life is in IMMEDIATE DANGER!

As long as those 4 steps can be documented, (hence calling 9-1-1 first) few jury members will question the fact that you had no other choice.

G

·
The reason for the heat sheild is to give you some place to mount the bayonette lug... DUH. 8)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like Dennis Allen's point...

You DEFINITELY need a heat shield on that HD shotgun because you should be practicing with it so much and shooting so many shells through it at the range that it should get white hot every time :)

Heat shield because you practice with it, not for the god-forbid home defense situation...

G

·
My Mossy 590 came with a head shield. It does look cool. While in Vietnam I once grabbed my M16 by the barrel and got burned. I learned my lesson and never did that again. I do use it for target practice so the barrel does get hot at times and once it started to fall off of the bench and I instinctively grabbed it around the shield. Saved my hand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well, after shooting a good deal of my new mossberg this weekend i must say i am EXTREMELY glad i have it. i noticed that i was holding the gun by the barrel a few times while reloading. if i didn't have the heat shield, i would have got burned atleast a couple of times. i doubt it would have been to bad, but still.

as far as home defense.... i certainly don't think it will hurt anything. it looks nice too, so you can't go wrong with it really :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.