Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A few days ago I bought my very first shotgun.
Upon selling me the gun, the owner of the gunshop was absolutely convinced it was a model 1300. In appearance, it looks exactly like a 1300 walnut field, see http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=512&type_id=034&cat=012C

However, when examining the gun more closely, we saw "Model 1400" clearly written on the left side of the barrel, above the trigger.

The gun is a 12 gauge pump-action chambered 2 3/4" (70mm). The barrel is about 26" long (have not measured exactly).
The gun is equipped with the WinChoke system and has 3 chokes with it.

This information puzzles me greatly, as it seems to be contradictionary.

Until now, I was told / have found out that:
- 1400's are semi-auto's only
- 1300's are chambered for 3" only
- Barrels from the 1300 and 1400 are not interchangeable

If the information above is correct, it is contradictionary with the gun I have, as mine is a pump-action chambered in 2 3/4" ...

So, this has left me completely puzzled on the type of gun I have. Or is it really simple and is it indeed a 1400 ?

I would really appreciate any help with this matter !

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
of your three points the only one you were mistaken on is the barrel interchangability.
The Winchester 1200,1300,1400, and 1500 barrels will all fit the 1200 and 1300 receivers.

So, you do have a 1300 it just has a barrel stamped for the 1400 and therefore the shorter chamber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
It only contradicts a little bit with the FAQ that Winchester has put up on this matter:

http://www.winchester-guns.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=45

Are there any marks on the receiver or stock that could help identify the gun ? My handguns all have serial nrs. on grip, slide (for my pistols) and barrel seperately. Apparently this is not done on shotguns ?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
For some reason I cannot open the link.

but, lets examine the facts.
fact 1 you have a winchester pump shotgun.
Fact 2 the winchester 1400 is a semi-auto.
fact 3 This isn't the first time this topic has been addressed

If you are unsure of the gun take it back to the dealer.

G

·
MarlandS said:
fact 3 This isn't the first time this topic has been addressed
Hi,

I searched but came up with nothing ..

But I'll believe you.

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
You'll pretty much have to since that thread was on the old bulletin board and was deleted from the forums long ago, I do have it saved on CD though.

If you are in serious doubt contact Winchester , confront them with the FAQ link and then point out how your gun is set up and see what they say. That's the easiest way to find out what went on.

Maybe they could explain how a barrel that is supposed to be drilled for gas ports is working on a pump... is your barrel drilled for them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, have been busy.

I haven't contacted Winchester yet because they don't seem to have e-mail and the time difference makes it difficult for me to contact them by phone at their opening hours.

The barrel isn't drilled for gas ports in any way.

I have taken some pictures of the weapon:

But I guess that giving the serial to Winchester would be helpful, because the model nr. is written on the barrel, but the serial is on the receiver.

Any further comments ?

G

·
i own a winchester 1300 and it is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3". does this help any with the delima.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garfield said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, have been busy.

I haven't contacted Winchester yet because they don't seem to have e-mail and the time difference makes it difficult for me to contact them by phone at their opening hours.

The barrel isn't drilled for gas ports in any way.

I have taken some pictures of the weapon:

would you sell this shotgun i dont care if its a 1300 or a 1400 its a winchester and thats all that matters my
email address is [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.