Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load 12 ga. on a MEC9000. I was measuring my reloads and found several shells that measured larger than they went in- not much but 2-3 thousand. Most of them were unchanged that is the same measurement after being resized. Is this possible or is it my inexpensive calibers giving poor reading? After resizing most average about 8.07 and have no fit issues with any of my 12 ga. guns.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Where are you measuring 8.07, and what units is this measurement in???

I suspect measurement errors since the collet has no mechanism to expand a shell head. Worse case is you are measuring a shell head that is slightly out of round.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not every unsized shell going into the machine is the same size to start. Variations of a few thousandths are to be expected. Add to that, that most shells are slightly out of round, and further that if you measure in different spots further and closer to the case head your numbers will vary.

Bottom line is there is no reason to size them any smaller than what fits your gun comfortably, and fitting your gun is all that matters.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I learned sometime back that you need to be careful when checking the setting of a resize collet. You need to measure some shells before you resize them. Otherwise, you really have not learned anything. You could take your collet all apart clean it up, lube, and reassemble. It COULD be set for 0.812 or 0.814. If you happen to grab some scrap shells that actually are 0.808, "resize" them, and then measure them: you COULD easily conclude: Great, all set, 0.808 will be fine. Reload some 0.012 shells the next day and you might discover they don't fit in your gun. IF you "resize" a shell and it comes out of the resizer the same diameter as it went in you have learned nothing about the resize setting. If you find some shells that are 0.812-813 and THEY come out of the resize collet at 0.806-0.808 then you really do know it is set right.

And NO, I do not believe a resize collet can make a shell a couple thousands bigger. If this is what your calipers say then the calipers are questionable or it is an out of round problem. You might try measuring some other things of know dimension and see what the calipers read on those. I use dial calipers often, l they are handy and easy. But, any time things don't seem right, I check with a micrometer. Unless a micrometer is in really bad shape, you can wipe the measuring surfaces clean, close it gently, and it either reads zero or it doesn't. If it does, then it is going to be pretty darned close up around 0.808. BUT, all that I have said is true for old fashioned DIAL calipers and old fashioned micrometers. When you start talking cheapo electronic digital (caliper or micrometer) then all bets are off.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will chalk this up to a cheapo electronic calipers (Harbor Freight). Most likely a waste of time to use them. I have a new use for the MEC " Go-No Go" gauge. If your loaded shell fits through the "Go" hole you know the collet is set too tight.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Ditto, and don't get me started on cheap digital caliper gauge skips, where if you are trying to measure more than a inch, you come up with a different readings every time.

Truth is, is so easy to pull a dial caliper apart to clean and reset it (engagement gear to rack so it reads correctly and not skipping), that even in my cheaper calipers that I bang around when milling/lathing, tend to favor them isntead of digital calipers instead.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I own a cheap (around $15) dial caliper and a cheap (also around $15 micrometer.) They both work great and are worth the money. But, I would not own a cheap digital version of either- just too many possibilities for errors. I also own top quality Mitutoyo micrometers with vernier scales that are around $100. They too are NOT digital- same reason.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
wrfish,
I'm still using the 'cheapie' digital caliper that you see at HF and others only it wasn't cheap when I bought it...and it's spot on. If you have a good set of feeler gauges, you can use those to check your digital caliper and I'm betting it'll be within 0.001".

As to the brass getting bigger, I don't know but I'm wondering if a weak finger or two on the collet could 'resize' the brass into an out-of-round shape and give you a bad reading.
:?: :?:

·
Administrator
23,999 Posts
Simply an out of round shell run through a collet that is set too big. Follow the instructions that Albatros gave you.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
wrfish said:
I will chalk this up to a cheapo electronic calipers (Harbor Freight). Most likely a waste of time to use them. I have a new use for the MEC " Go-No Go" gauge. If your loaded shell fits through the "Go" hole you know the collet is set too tight.
wrfish,
Those MEC go/no-go gauges have been the cause of thousands of ruined collets. Resizing to fit the go/no-go gauge is foolish, and causes the collet to resize far smaller than is necessary, and in most cases, over stresses the collet. It usually will stretch the segments of the collet, and this damage will necessitate re-placing the collet.

Those go/no-go belong in the trash. They don't even make a good paper weight.

DLM

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
There are cheap tools that are cheap there are cheap tools that work. A dial caliper is a simple device that generally works well. It is relatively cheap because it is simple. For that matter, simple is why it generally works well. A digital caliper is a much more complicated device that some feel is more user friendly. If you want the high tech fancy user friendly device and want it to work well, be prepared to pay a lot more. It you want high tech fancy user friendly AND cheap all in one, be prepared for readings that don't make sense.

A hammer drives nails just as well as a nail gun- it costs a lot less and is real dependable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.