Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave me this gun over thankgiving to hang on the wall. He says it used to be his dads and it shoots fine but hasn't fired it in 10 years. I havn't shot a shotgun since I was 14.

It looks old. It's an H&R Topper model 158 12 gauge single shot 36" barrel.

It's got a little rust on the whole length of the barrel mostly on the outside.

I was wondering what year it was manufactured and if its definately safe to shoot.

Thanks

·
Registered
28,499 Posts
Forty-Two said:
if its definately safe to shoot.

Thanks
No one could possibly say if it is "definitely" safe to shoot over the Internet. If you really want to know, than the gun has to be examined and pronounced safe by a competent gunsmith.

I'm not suggesting it is "unsafe," not at all. But, it would be reckless to call something safe on the basis of nothing. I would hope that no one takes an unseen, unknown, unverified firearm and decides to shoot it just because they "heard on the internet" it was somehow okay.

Are the tires on my car in good condition? Would you personally guarantee it? How about my brakes? Hope you see what I mean.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Actually in one sense I do not consider it "safe" to carry or hunt with. It has a outside hammer with no trigger block. If you drop it loaded it could go off. If your finger slips cocking it it could go off. I just don't think much of that kind of gun for safety anyway.
Let the flames [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.