Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot trap for the first time yesterday, and it seems like a pretty easy game. I went 23 my first round and 21 my second. I know that expert competitors will shoot 100 straight regularly, but it doesnt seem that hard. I was, of course, at the 16 yard mark, and can assume lower counts at 27, but it still seemed pretty easy. I also tend to do well on shots coming in or going out, so I'm sure that helped. I'm not bragging, it just seems easier than the other games. I should also mention that I've only been shooting clays for about 2 months (6 trips to the club) and had not shot at anything for the last 13 years. Skeet eats me up, and I do fair on sporting. 5 stand was brutal the only time I played.What am I missing? (besides the seven birds i mentioned earlier)

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Congrats on the scores. I like trap as I prefer the rhythem of the shooting over the swapping and mingling in both skeet and sporting clays.Trap is easier in the fact that there is less gun movement, however that clay is moving away and dropping in its arc of travel. The mechanics are fairly simple with follow through being of utmost importance, there is this thing between your ears that will mess you up more than anything else. Drop a target and start trying to figure out why, and the rest of the round can go down the toilet. Or start anticipating where the clay will come from.You are starting at 16yds from the house, the actual target breaking area is in the 30+, so it gets to be an even longer range shot the farther back you go, but there is even less gun movement the farther back you go.Fatigue can be another issue, in a tourny you will shoot 100 in each class that you shoot, and as many as 500-600 across the course of a day or two. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
OHHHH I dunno if trap is as easy as it seems I do fairly well at it but my primary hunting genre is gamebirds over a dog so the shots are similar.The crew of folks I shoot with are mainly deerhunters or turkey and some of them post scores in the neighborhood of 5-6 consistently so I tend to believe that traps difficulty or easiness is in how your head is wired

·
Registered
83 Posts
Trap is too easy... It can be fun to disadvantage yourself though. I use a Remington 870 for trap so I like to hold my shotshell in one hand, and my 870 in the other. I'll call pull, load the shotshell into the action, close the action, turn off the safety, shoulder, then fire. I can still hit 23 to 24 consistantly.That probably didn't help but I just wanted to brag... :D A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes the machine is within regs... I do better when the odds are stacked against me. If I played trap normally, i'd probably hit like 16 or 17. I need stuff to distract me so that it doesn't let me think too much. If you send me a video camera, I'll tape it for ya... I'm too poor to afford one... A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well okay this is what i tell kids to do find a song YOU REALLLY Like and sing it while your not shooting (just not outloud) I do this too. IT works pretty well just don't forget to load your gun because your singing. Fantastic!! Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GKEAS,If it was that easy everyone's scores would be much harder. The season is just about to start up and I know in Wa. state there is at least a couple of shoots every weekend. Yoy should join the ATA or the PITA shell out the $100 or so per evern and statr bringing home some money.Happy shooting. Joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would but the whole starting tourny things is very confusing. I keep hearing things from my local gun club about 200 clays of being non registered before you start shooting registered of something like that. It seems like too much trouble to get started but I'd like to know how. A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All you have to do to shoot registered targets is show up! They'll sign you up on the spot and you are good to go immediately. Nothing to it! My 10 year old son shot his first 200 registered targets just before Christmas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So just sign up for any local tourny and just shoot? That sounds easy enough. A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shooting trap does get kind of easy. Last time I shot with a friend of mine I hit 97 out of 100 with my A-5 and he hit 99 out of 100 with his 870. After that we started waiting until they were 7 or 8 feet from the ground before taking a shot to make it a little more challenging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think your statement is a little over rated, or you haven't shot it in competition. Shooting 23 and 24 won't win you much in torunemanets. You have to consistently shoot 99 to 100 out of a hundred to win, if that is what you want out of the game. With me it is trying not to drop that one bird. All in all though, maybe I need to back up, if one can consistnetly shoot in the high twenties, then the 25's will come. If you are saying that hitting 25's are easy, then I would disagree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:D What gives? standing stone still, with a pre-mounted gun that would be worthless in the field, wearing blinders, and getting ticked off because the guy next to you is shooting a pump or auto and his hulls are bouncing off your feet? Some of these trap guys are too serious.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I'm still a novice at this, but it seems to me that trap is more of a mind game than a technique game. Skeet and the different versions of Sporting clays are more of a technique game than a mind game. Skeet you know exactly where the rock is going to go, and when. With trap you know when, and within a defined range, where. You just have to be thinking more about picking up the target and breaking it. Just my take of the whole thing.

BP

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have never shot real trap. My question is this; is real trap harder or easier then the hand thrown version? When my buddies are tossing the clay I have no idea where its going. These guys have no consistancy at all in their ability to toss it straight. I have even found it easier to hold my gun pointed down until I see the clay in the air and then mount it and shoot. If I get too prepared it gets tossed at a 90 degree angle to where I think its going and I get all crossed up.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
thebigdt;

Yes!

You owe it to yourself to go to a real trap range and do it at least once. Then come back and tell us what you think. Unless you are one of those rare natural 100 straighters, I'd bet you'll agree!

BP

·
Registered
128 Posts
Being so inexperienced at shotgun shooting, I am looking forward to going to shoot real trap. At this point I have been shooting hand thrown only 4 times. Once 25 years ago and then 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I just got my own shotgun working last week and I am looking foward to trying out different things, trap especially.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.