Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long Remington manufactured 28 ga. slugs? I believe the one-piece, red and green, Remington "Express", EXTRA LONG RANGE marked boxes were from the 1930-1940's. These are 2-3/4" paper hulls and fired 1/2 oz. rifled slugs. I was aware of current 28 gauge slugs but not this old. Were there other manufacturers? I'm not finding any information about the slugs and I'm beginning to think, (and hope), they are somewhat rare. Any thoughts? Joe

· Registered
5,731 Posts
The red and green shell boxes first appear with the New Remington Crimp on their Shur-Shot skeet and trap loads in 1939, but the Express loads stayed in this style box up to WW-II --

By the end of the War the Express shells were coming in this style box --

For 1947 the Remington Express shells began getting the New Remington Crimp --

As for the 28-gauge Rifled Slugs --

I have searched through Remington ammunition catalogues and price lists beginning with the end of WW-II. The 28-gauge Remington Express Rifled Slug is first listed in a couple of undated catalogues attributed to 1953. The first thing I find dated that has the 28-gauge Remington Express Rifled Slugs is December 16, 1954 --

The Remington Express 28-gauge Rifled Slug remains in the offerings into 1961. By the January 10, 1962, Remington Ammunition catalogue the plastic cases are replacing the old ribbed paper cases and the 28-gauge rifled slug is no longer listed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.