Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a recent large (for me) purchase of #9 shot and another purchase of primers that ended up really reducing the cost of them for me, I decided to run the numbers again to determine how much my 12 gauge shells are costing me to reload. Using this calculator:

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/ ... ulator.htm

I have managed to get my cost-per-box down to $3.53. That includes tax, any shipping on the components etc. I buy primers from Gamaliel, a bulk shot purchase directly from the manufacturer and wads and powder from my club. Hulls are, of course, free to me.

Considering that the local every day price of Gun Club shells is about
$6.50 net after tax, I am saving just short of $3.00 per box, plenty of savings for me to justify the time spent.

I just wanted to post this because it is very common for new reloaders to ask about whether or not they will save money if they reload. The answer always is, "it depends on how you buy your components."

My components costs are

Shot $25.00 per bag, 25 lbs. Northwest Magnum
Wads $11.50/500
Primers $20.00/1000 Noble Sports
Powder $121.50/8 lb.jug 700X

Considering that starting in May, my son will be shooting close to a flat per week, I am real glad that I my costs are down where they are.

·
Registered
869 Posts
beammeupscotty said:
With a recent large (for me) purchase of #9 shot and another purchase of primers that ended up really reducing the cost of them for me, I decided to run the numbers again to determine how much my 12 gauge shells are costing me to reload. Using this calculator:

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/ ... ulator.htm

I have managed to get my cost-per-box down to $3.53. That includes tax, any shipping on the components etc. I buy primers from Gamaliel, a bulk shot purchase directly from the manufacturer and wads and powder from my club. Hulls are, of course, free to me.

Considering that the local every day price of Gun Club shells is about
$6.50 net after tax, I am saving just short of $3.00 per box, plenty of savings for me to justify the time spent.

I just wanted to post this because it is very common for new reloaders to ask about whether or not they will save money if they reload. The answer always is, "it depends on how you buy your components."

My components costs are

Shot $25.00 per bag, 25 lbs. Northwest Magnum
Wads $11.50/500
Primers $20.00/1000 Noble Sports
Powder $121.50/8 lb.jug 700X

Considering that starting in May, my son will be shooting close to a flat per week, I am real glad that I my costs are down where they are.
The shot prices you got there are phenomenal I can't even get ahold of reclaimed for that down here

iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
So how do you get your cost down to $20 per 1000 primers delivered from Gamaliel?

I'm about to place an order for 20,000 nobel primers and best I can do with shipping and hazmat is $23.49 per 1000. Thats $469.78 for the load delivered.

Shipping and hazmat is $59.78 alone.

Any coupon codes from them?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If you change your powder to promo you could save another $40 and then buy wads by the case and save another 30 to 40 dollars. You would then be saving about the max for your reloading.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do you get your cost down to $20 per 1000 primers delivered from Gamaliel?
When I ordered 10,000 primers from Gamaliel, there was a problem with UPS delivering the order, at least in their mind. Even though the order had already passed through 3 or 4 UPS transit hubs, when it got to my local HUB someone decided that the box's hazmat markings were incorrect and they decided they would not deliver it. I contacted Gamaliel, they contacted UPS and then called me back. Even though the problem was really UPS's, not Gamaliels, Gamaliel suggested that if I could possibly go and pick up the order at the UPS hub, they would be very happy to refund me shipping and hazmat. I also placed the order on 10/10/10, when Gamaliel had a special going on giving a 10% discount on anything ordered that day. I ordered at the old price of $107.00/5000 so with no hazmat or shipping and a 10% dicount, I actually paid $19.26/1000. This kind of service is the reason that any components that I have to order on line, I ALWAYS order from Gamaliel.

If you change your powder to promo you could save another $40 and then buy wads by the case and save another 30 to 40 dollars. You would then be saving about the max for your reloading.
Actually, I'd have to order 16 lbs at a time of Promo to get my price down to about $116.00 for an 8 lb. jug. I would rather save my cash and pay five bucks more for my powder. Alliant has no published recipe for a 1 oz. load using the components I prefer to use. Even if I fudged it and loaded with my components I suspect the 1 grain additional powder required per shell using Promo vs 700X (a guess) would end up making it a wash. I would get an additonal 192 shells with 700X compared to Promo from an 8 lb. jug.

As far as Wads go, if I changed to another brand of wads I might save a little, but if I ordered a case of Remington TGT12s, which is my preferred wad, the cost with shipping comes out to $13.88/500, which is MORE that I currently pay. Even if I ordered 2 cases, the cost would only drop by about fifty cents per 500, due to the cost of shipping wads. A case of wads comes in a pretty big box and UPS charges shipping on large boxes based upon the size, not only the weight. Shipping on one case is about $35.00, on two it is about $56.00. Actually, I just ran the numbers for the Down Range substitute for the TGT12, the RT12, and the cost with shipping for a case comes out to be $11.69/500 so saving on wads really isn't practical for me.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Look into Clay Dot powder. I get it for 95.00 for 8 lbs.
Local dealer charges 125.00.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you where in the right place at the right time for that UPS screw up on the primer order.

I just ordered my 20,000. $23.42 per 1000 delivered if everything goes smooth. Can't touch that locally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.