Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited an Ithaca m37 12 gauge with 30 inch barrel and 2.75 chamber. I do not know much about guns and am interested in dating it. I have read some of the other blogs and I hope this is enough information if someone could help. The serial # is 2870XX and has the #4 stamped directly below the serial #. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
farm$,

Anything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. That said, if your gun is 98% or better and if I was looking for one, I would offer you up to $350 for it. As condition slides, so does price. A working 37 in reasonable condition should always bring at least $250. The 30" full choke is not as desirable as the open choked, shorter barrels, which are not as common. A good solid 37 would have to be pretty rough to drop below $250. You can check the Blue Book for information on condition and price. This is my opinion, others may want to add theirs.

Hope that helps.

Dirtfarmer

·
Registered
981 Posts
Dirtfarmer: Has got it right on the price for a M37,condition is everything & full chokes are not in big favor now days. As I said condition will determine price. Internet prices now on M37'S are in line with what Dirtfarmer has stated. The blue book is also refered to when condition & price are in question. Their are some very good sales & prices though.I bought a Ithaca M37R Deluxe 12ga 2 3/4in 27in barrel screw in chokes,box & manual. Not a mark on the gun wood or metal. For $215.00 Listed as NRA 99.9% & it is. Because it's a used gun. It cannot be rated at 100% or NIB. The owner said it sat in his gun cabinet for 15 years & he did not ues it. I got it thru WWW.GUNSAMERICA.COM.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
A500R,

Congratulations on one heck of a bargain find. I take it the screw in chokes were obviously after market and that might account for the 27" barrel length. But I sometimes get confused as to whether the barrel length includes that portion that inserts into the receiver, or if it is just the length of the barrel from the muzzle end of the receiver to the muzzle of the barrel. I think the former is the correct method of measuring barrel length which might make your barrel a length of 28". Regardless, that was one heck of a good find at a GREAT price.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Grousen,

I always measure the barrel from the rim or mouth of the chamber to the end of the barrel. I don't include receiver extensions, etc. You may want to elaborate and give some more info on what you said concerning barrel length and measurements.

BTW, check out the Browning forum on the 1933 Superposed I just got and who the original owner was. Really interesting.

Dirtfarmer

·
Registered
981 Posts
Damn Dirtfarmer: You hit the jackpot with that 1933 Superposed & the history of the gun, one hell of a find. You must be prouder than a peacock. Once it's restored to your liking. A photo on SGW would be appricated by all.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A500R,

Thanks. I am somewhat on a "high" since I got that call from the Browning historian. I knew something was up the way he was all excitied. I think he enjoyed this about as much as I did. It did make me take the high road (and expensive road) with the restoration. And, don't you know, when it's all finished I'll be posting pictures until everyone is thoroughly grossed out. I even bought a couple of Col. Askins' books. May even see a picture of him shooting that old gun. I always thought he was an interesting dude, and now I have something that was special to him. And, of course, it's special to me.

Dirtfarmer

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks, Grousen. I am blessed and I know it. I appreciate all you guys and am grateful for all I've learned since I've become a "forum junkie." I guess it's pretty cheap entertainment, until the forum gets it's readers all fired up to go out and buy something. Then, it's not so cheap. But, where else can you have so much fun exchanging knowledge and experiences with fellow gun nuts? I think it takes a gun nut to really appreciate another gun nut.

Dirtfarmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts