Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a lefty. I want to shoulder an Ithaca 20 synthetic Storm pump. I live in MN and have not been able to find one stocked at any outlet. I'm getting frustrated because I want to check out the gun without having to pay a retailers restocking charge for special orders. Has anyone fired this gun? How do I get a chance to see one without financial obligations? Help!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran into pretty much the same problem you did except I wanted to test drive a Waterfowler Storm. I was very hard to find anyone that sold these guns much less had one in stock. If you live near a Gander Mountain store then they had them in their sale flier a while back. Hope you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All I can say is I love my Ithaca 37.

I shoot a 16 ga Ithaca and love it, I shoot a 12 ga wingmaster for ducks and geese.

The Ithaca action is so smooth you won't believe it.

I like the bottom eject some guys don't.

It is lighter and the stroke is shorter than the BPS browning and the action is smoother as well.

If you like shooting a pump you will love shooting a Ithaca.

Look at the used gun shops for a Ithaca same gun as the storm just does not have the weather proofing of the 20ga storm. If you like the used one you will like the new one.

good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My local Gander Mountain took delivery of a pair of these "lite" 20 ***** guns. The clerk called to let me know that they weigh in at 7.5 pounds. I have yet to check them out because at that weight I might as well heft my BPS 12 and save for another gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The guy is nuts a 12 ga standard Ithaca with a steel receiver with a 28 inch barrel has a weight of 7.2 pounds with a 26 it is 7 pounds. The new 12-ga waterfowl gun is 7.8 they added extra just for the waterfowl gun.

The 20 ga with the steel receiver is a pound less at 6 pounds and the 20 ga with an aluminum recover is half pound lighter at 5 1/2 pounds.

While both the BPS and Ithaca are great guns the Ithaca is much lighter and even though they look similar and both have bottom eject they are very different guns. The Ithaca is much easier to completely disassemble and is lighter and has a shorter stroke than the BPS.

Don't get me wrong the BPS is a great gun my brother has been shooting a couple for 22 years. But the Ithaca is easer to disassemble and lighter.

My brother shoots a BPS 12 and 20 ga. I shoot an Ithaca 16 ga and a WM 12 ga. If either one of us buy another pump it will be a Ithaca but The way all the guns are holding up I don't think we will ever need to. All good guns I just like the action on the 37 MUCH better.

Go check the action out on the Ithaca it is so smooth that when unloaded if you hold the gun up and hold down the slide release it will open the chamber it is so smooth, you will never short stroke it like you do with your BPS, I say that because I short stroke my WM and my brother Short strokes his BPS from time to time, I have yet to short stroke my Ithaca. Until you check out the action on the Ithaca you cannot appreciate how smooth it is.

If you want a 20 ga right now I would buy the Ithaca pump or a Franchi 620 auto. Good luck

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I own a 52 year old Ithaca 16-ga with a fixed modified choke. The fit and finish are superb. The pump throw is short and slick, lightning fast. The gun feels like it has a mind of it's own when you start it toward your shoulder (I prolly got lucky on fit, but there you have it). It's much lighter than my 20 ga Remington 870, which I'm now trying to sell on gunbroker. Fattire is right--Ithacas are good medicine:) No chance you'd try find a good used Ithaca? They're around!

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a proud new owner of an M37 (circa 1946) 12 ga, I couldn't agree more with Jeff and Fattire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ithaca owners really are quite lucky, and I'm more lucky to own one though I live in Asia (Philippines), thanks to my good friend, a British gun importer based here, who presented it to me as a personal gift, "a token of gratitude" according to him.

Happy hunting and shooting to all Ithaca 37 owners!!!

Ithabrown

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah, a military Ithaca--quite the collector's item, imho! Congrats!

Jeff23

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right on the dot, Jeff! My gift was a military Ithaca 37, a fine collector's item! I believe I have a trench model (if not the riiot version), thanks to a friend's generosity.

Happy shooting!

Ithabrown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Btw, Jeff, congratulations to you, too...and all the rest of us with our 37's!

Let me know when you're in my neck of woods because here in my country, hunting laws are not as stringent as that in yours. My group will be glad to tour you around!

Ithabrown

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah the Phillipines--I could try my Ithaca on everything from wild boars to communists. Only kidding, of course:) The trench model's worth real bucks, so hold onto it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never checked out the "upland lite" 20 gauge at Gander. I stumbled upon an Ithaca model 37 16 gauge at a local gun shop and snatched it up. It's well over a pound lighter than my BPS and feels great. I put almost 100 rounds through it last week and had lots of fun with my new toy. I decided that this is a perfect gun for a long day in the grouse woods and will make a great first gun for my kids when they're old enough to waterfowl.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the 16 ga love it.

Is is new or used?

What do you think of the action?

Is it fixed choked or changeable chokes?

Does it have a steel or aluminum reciever?

What did you pay for it?

I love shooting that gun with 1 1/8 oz load of 6 shot at 1300 for pheasant with IC. Fiochi makes a nice nickle plated load of 5 shot I use sometimes. If you order buy the case you can get just as good a deal on ammo as in 12 or 20 ga.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a new vent rib 16 with a steel reciever and interchangable chokes. The gun came with an IC choke and a voucher for a full set of chokes. I just sent it in the other day so it will probably be awhile before I see them. I paid 475. Also I noticed that Ithaca has a :) press release on their web site touting the "Storm Lite" line of guns. It says they weigh in at under six pounds so I'm not sure what gun the Gander Mountain guy was talking about that weighed in the mid sevens. Unless it was the Waterfowler Storm 20 Gauge. What's interesting is that the folks at Ithaca told me that the 20 gauge Waterfowler Storm was the same gun as the Storm "upland lite". The specs certainly don't match. Oh well. So far I'm really happy with the 16.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 16 ga with the steel reciever is a featherlight and is between 6 and 6 1/4 pounds depending on the wood and the 20 ga with the steel reciever is between 6 and 5 3/4 pounds.

Both guns are sold with aluminum recievers as well they are the ultra feather light modles and are 1/2 pound less. The 12 ga is only sold with a steel reciever.

some like the steel reciever because they think the aluminum guns kick to much, I have not noticed a difference I was going to get the one with the aluminum reciever but ran into a great deal on a 16 ga with a steel reciever and bought it.

I am glad they are sending you the mod and full choke. I never use anything but the IC.

Glad you are happy with your ithaca.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts