Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
All I can say is I love my Ithaca 37.

I shoot a 16 ga Ithaca and love it, I shoot a 12 ga wingmaster for ducks and geese.

The Ithaca action is so smooth you won't believe it.

I like the bottom eject some guys don't.

It is lighter and the stroke is shorter than the BPS browning and the action is smoother as well.

If you like shooting a pump you will love shooting a Ithaca.

Look at the used gun shops for a Ithaca same gun as the storm just does not have the weather proofing of the 20ga storm. If you like the used one you will like the new one.

good luck.

· Registered
59 Posts
The guy is nuts a 12 ga standard Ithaca with a steel receiver with a 28 inch barrel has a weight of 7.2 pounds with a 26 it is 7 pounds. The new 12-ga waterfowl gun is 7.8 they added extra just for the waterfowl gun.

The 20 ga with the steel receiver is a pound less at 6 pounds and the 20 ga with an aluminum recover is half pound lighter at 5 1/2 pounds.

While both the BPS and Ithaca are great guns the Ithaca is much lighter and even though they look similar and both have bottom eject they are very different guns. The Ithaca is much easier to completely disassemble and is lighter and has a shorter stroke than the BPS.

Don't get me wrong the BPS is a great gun my brother has been shooting a couple for 22 years. But the Ithaca is easer to disassemble and lighter.

My brother shoots a BPS 12 and 20 ga. I shoot an Ithaca 16 ga and a WM 12 ga. If either one of us buy another pump it will be a Ithaca but The way all the guns are holding up I don't think we will ever need to. All good guns I just like the action on the 37 MUCH better.

Go check the action out on the Ithaca it is so smooth that when unloaded if you hold the gun up and hold down the slide release it will open the chamber it is so smooth, you will never short stroke it like you do with your BPS, I say that because I short stroke my WM and my brother Short strokes his BPS from time to time, I have yet to short stroke my Ithaca. Until you check out the action on the Ithaca you cannot appreciate how smooth it is.

If you want a 20 ga right now I would buy the Ithaca pump or a Franchi 620 auto. Good luck

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
59 Posts
I have the 16 ga love it.

Is is new or used?

What do you think of the action?

Is it fixed choked or changeable chokes?

Does it have a steel or aluminum reciever?

What did you pay for it?

I love shooting that gun with 1 1/8 oz load of 6 shot at 1300 for pheasant with IC. Fiochi makes a nice nickle plated load of 5 shot I use sometimes. If you order buy the case you can get just as good a deal on ammo as in 12 or 20 ga.

· Registered
59 Posts
The 16 ga with the steel reciever is a featherlight and is between 6 and 6 1/4 pounds depending on the wood and the 20 ga with the steel reciever is between 6 and 5 3/4 pounds.

Both guns are sold with aluminum recievers as well they are the ultra feather light modles and are 1/2 pound less. The 12 ga is only sold with a steel reciever.

some like the steel reciever because they think the aluminum guns kick to much, I have not noticed a difference I was going to get the one with the aluminum reciever but ran into a great deal on a 16 ga with a steel reciever and bought it.

I am glad they are sending you the mod and full choke. I never use anything but the IC.

Glad you are happy with your ithaca.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.