Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering acquiring a used Ithaca 37; but I want to switch out the trigger packs to give me a slam-fire capability. I've located a seller stating he has said trigger assembly that would fit in a 12ga, 16, or 20. So my question is: are the trigger assemblies from different gauges the same size? Can someone, perhaps who ones a few, tell me?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huntinghudson said:
They are, within the same chamber length. You will see a difference in the 3" versions. What you will find different over time is tang length and the size or the opening in the trigger guard.
How much different? Are you saying I can't use a 1950 trigger in a 1970 frame and so on? Are there distinct years when the changes take place, or is it gradually year by year?

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
adcard7 said:
I am considering acquiring a used Ithaca 37; but I want to switch out the trigger packs to give me a slam-fire capability. . . .
Slam fire seems like a strange thing to get hung up on but to each his own . . .

Personally, I wouldn't miss this "feature" at all if my Ithacas didn't have it. I've tried it a couple of times intentionally and found it to not be at all useful. Once or twice I've been reminded of the slam fire feature shooting skeet station 7 doubles . . . oops.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bladeswitcher said:
adcard7 said:
I am considering acquiring a used Ithaca 37; but I want to switch out the trigger packs to give me a slam-fire capability. . . .
Slam fire seems like a strange thing to get hung up on but to each his own . . .

Personally, I wouldn't miss this "feature" at all if my Ithacas didn't have it. I've tried it a couple of times intentionally and found it to not be at all useful. Once or twice I've been reminded of the slam fire feature shooting skeet station 7 doubles . . . oops.
I'm a mechanical engineer; I enjoy assembling and disassembling things to see how they work, and try to figure out how I could improve them. I will still have the original trigger pack, so I see no issue with it. If I don't like it, I'll change it back. But it will be educational, and as I will soon be pursuing a career in small arms design or something similar, I consider it "professional development". :mrgreen:

Thanks to the people that gave info!

·
Registered
90 Posts
ithacanut said:
If you remove the little triangular protrusion on the hammer you will have a slam fire action.
"Remove"? That second sear *gives* the M37 its slam-fire capability. (It releases the hammer when the slide stop moves to lock the action.)

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
90 Posts
adcard7 said:
I'm a mechanical engineer; I enjoy assembling and disassembling things to see how they work.
In that case, a pretty picture for you:

Note that the hammer is being held back by the second sear and the stub on the hammer. When the slide stop rotates clockwise, as the action locks up, the second sear releases. At this point, the trigger-controlled sear will hold the hammer back. If the trigger sear is out of position because the trigger is being pulled, then the hammer will fall.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bladeswitcher said:

Personally, I wouldn't miss this "feature" at all if my Ithacas didn't have it. I've tried it a couple of times intentionally and found it to not be at all useful.
I have my own theory that the slam-fire facility was added in order to "cure" the problem whereby locking the action and pulling the trigger was done in the wrong order. In other words, to ensure that the gun went "bang!" when you expected it to in normal use, rather than "trench clearing" mode.

Others disagree.

If you're interested, take a look at the discussion over on the Ithacas Owners forum:

http://www.ithacaowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1960

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChAoS said:
adcard7 said:
I'm a mechanical engineer; I enjoy assembling and disassembling things to see how they work.
In that case, a pretty picture for you:

Note that the hammer is being held back by the second sear and the stub on the hammer. When the slide stop rotates clockwise, as the action locks up, the second sear releases. At this point, the trigger-controlled sear will hold the hammer back. If the trigger sear is out of position because the trigger is being pulled, then the hammer will fall.

Regards,

Mark.
This is extremely helpful; It allows me to understand at a distance the mechanism and tell which trigger assemblies are the old and which are modern. Thanks.

I did look on ebay and found a fair few. It's a shame that so many guns are being disassembled to sell for parts, but makes project guns like mine a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
ChAoS said:
ithacanut said:
If you remove the little triangular protrusion on the hammer you will have a slam fire action.
"Remove"? That second sear *gives* the M37 its slam-fire capability. (It releases the hammer when the slide stop moves to lock the action.)

Regards,

Mark.
I find it a bit interesting that our friend from across the pond is giving a lecture to the gentleman who wrote the go to books on Ithaca's and a separate book dedicated to the 37 based on his decades of employment at Ithaca. Oop's almost forgot Forum sponsor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ohio mike said:
ChAoS said:
ithacanut said:

Regards,

Mark.
I find it a bit interesting that our friend from across the pond is giving a lecture to the gentleman who wrote the go to books on Ithaca's and a separate book dedicated to the 37 based on his decades of employment at Ithaca. Oop's almost forgot Forum sponsor.
Whoops... Sorry, IthacaNut, I didn't realise who you were.

Perhaps, then, you can give me the definitive answer to a question that I can't seem to get an answer to: viz, *when* and *why* was the extra sear added?

Also, if removing the stub adds slam-fire, what is the stub for? It seems strange that my 1975 M37 has no stub whereas my 1981 M37 DSPS still has it (and slam fires). You'd think that that would be the other way around.

What am I missing, here?

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
415 Posts
iirc the change happened sometime during the 75 production run.
as to why ,,,because the government asked

remember this change did not stop the line production , parts were not scrapped.
the new parts to eliminate slam fire had to be blended into production.
so guns came thru with combinations of parts newer and older that would still slam fire

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, now I'm really confused about which trigger packs slamfire. On the up side, I got the shotgun today, and it's a beauty (and the topic is moot, because it does, in fact, slamfire 8) ):

It's also got an interesting adjustable choke on the end:

The "poly-choke" looks to be in pristine condition. Which is a shame, because I'm probably going to saw it off anyway. Other than that I'll probably leave the gun how it is. The stock's LOP is about 13", which for once is short enough for my below average frame. I might polish that walnut up; it's gorgeous. Anyone have any favorite wood solvents/oils?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.