Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the top lever on my 4E kicked to the right after firing. The action has opened about a sixteenth of an inch , maybe a little more. This has happened three times over about 100 rds. It doesn't completely open as I have to put more pressure on the lever to open the barrel. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
It needs to be rejoined, contact Doug Braker @ Doug's Gunsmith shop .com. He will do you right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a trap gun. The problem was first noticed by me after a new locking bolt was fitted. It could have been doing the same thing before the new bolt but I didn't notice it. One thing I did notice is I can slip a piece of paper between the barrel and receiver when closed and you can see light there when you hold it in front of a light or the sky. Could this condition be a factor in the action wanting to open when fired?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new spring did not help. The "off face" issue has been corrected. A new bolt was fitted (the original bolt broke). If I shoot one ounce loads there are zero problems. If I shoot 1 1/8 loads the lever jumps right and the action is open enough to easily slip in a piece of paper every time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
In his book "Shotguns by Keith," (p. 35) Elmer describes this problem which started when Ithaca went to the rotary bolt in 1926.

He had several Ithaca doubles that would either open or start to open on firing. On one, he said that, "any oil at all on the extended rib cut or rotary bolt and the big gun (a 10 gauge) would open on the first shot." Even after a trip back to the factory for a new bolt, it still opened occasionally. He also said that "snapping" the action shut seemed to cure the problem but he did not like snapping doubles shut.

On another gun (Major Askins #5 16 gauge), he had a new bolt fitted, "with considerable radius where it contacts the cut in the extended rib" and never had any more problems with it kicking open.

I personally know nothing about Ithaca doubles but hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
ithacanut said:
Zbigniew, Knicks do not have a rotary bolt.
I was afraid of that. Hence, the disclaimer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.