2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently came into posession of the following gun. Can anyone help me out? thx

serial = 914xx, grade = 1 (?)

Itacha Hammerless shotgun, 12 gauge

30 inch barrel that is rusty

Stock is in good shape, but with a cracked back plate

Shotgun is disassembled and comes in a canvas carry case

Obviously not fired in at least 50 years or more.

What is the shotgun worth in its current condition?

Can the shotgun be restored (is it worth the expense?)?

·
Registered
332 Posts
It certainly CAN be restored, but that implies putting it back to as-new condition and that is not a do-it-yourself project. Professional restoration would probably cost more than the value of the restored arm. Actually a restored arm, no matter how skillfully done, is usually valued very little higher than a similar gun in NRA Good condition and a poor restoration much less. If all the parts are in the bag, a replacement buttplate shouldn't be too expensive, the rust can be stopped, a good furniture polish on the wood parts and gun oil on the metal, re-assemble it and you have a Good to Very Good shotgun. I'm not sure just which Ithica you have, but since you say Hammerless, I'm assuming that you the Hammerless Double and grade 1 would be the field grade according to my 1995 edition of the Standard Catalog. It lists a value of $650-$850 in Good and Very Good, so should be a bit higher now. Single trigger, vent rib, auto ejectors, and a beavertail forearm can each add $150-$200. Even if you pay a gunsmith for cleaning and assembly, you should come out ahead. The Catalog also has a caution that those made prior to 1925 should not be used with modern ammunition, but doesn't give a clue to identify those. Someone probably has a serial number list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply. Some more info:

The gun snaps together very easily. The side-by-side double barrel, the stock with the metal breech into which the barrel fits, and the barrel forearm rest snap together so that the gun appears ready to use in a few seconds. I am sorry if I am not using the right terms but I think you get the picture. There is an empty pouch in the canvas bag which I presume was for the missing cleaning equipment. I can't figure what else it could be for since the shotgun appears ready to fire. There are the standard two double barrel triggers, no shell ejector, no auto loader, and no vents in the barrel at all. The forearm rest, back plate, and stock have some engraving but not real fancy. I do not see much on the either the wood nor the metal that I would call fancy engraving. Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I've got conflicting sources, one says a 1903 Crass model the other says Lewis model. The values are similar though. the field grade allegedly didn't come into play until the Minier model.

I've got the 2002 Standard catalog and it's showing the Lewis and Crass at V.G. $500 and Good at $300 , you might want to go to the auction sites or classifieds and see what they are running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts