Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an Ithaca Hammerless that's for sale locally. It may be a Crass model, marked "Hammerless" and has "Nitro Powder Steel" marked on rib. Not Damascus barrels.

Assuming this gun is fully functional, what modern ammo is safe to shoot in it? Seller says it should handle all 2-3/4" high brass, including the standard length magnum.

I'm skeptical. I can believe low brass field or target loads would be OK, but high brass?????

Anyone have experience or expertise with this old Ithaca?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The seller is not very knowledgeable on old Ithacas. unles it's modified, it likely has 2 5/8" chambers. Forsafety's sake, use loads no greater than 7500PSI chamber pressure. The Fluid Steel in the old Ithacas, was not designed to take 12,000+ psi loads.. Bushrod

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Heavy,
"High Brass" and "Low Brass" mean nothing when discussing pressures. With the older Ithacas, you really should know what pressures the rounds you're using will produce. Gamebore, ARMUSA, and some others sell cartridges with pressures listed for this reason. Something easier for you to get your hand on may be the newer Winchester " Low Noise/ Low Recoil" loads. According to Winchester, and their reloading info., these should produce around 7,500 psi. They've also got an "X-tra lite" target load in the same ballpark.
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim and Natty,
Many thanks for your replies. This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to receive, though I'm disappointed to learn about the pressure limitations.

Not sure I am still interested in the shotgun. But before I abandon this beautiful old Ithaca, let me ask one more question. Are the low pressure (7500 psi) loads enough of a handicap that you would not want to use the Crass Hammerless on ringnecks, ducks and geese? I was interested in the gun mainly for those hunting purposes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The produced pressure has little to do with knockdown power. The above mentioned loads will not work for duck or geese, mainly because the shot is too small, and made of lead[illegal]. There are, however, handload recipes available to suit most needs yet keep pressures in the desired area.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts