Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post to shotgunworld forum - I have a small problem with my Ithaca Mag 10 auto loader, I've own this gun for only about 2 years now making the purchase for geese and ducks with an occasional outings for spring gobbler. My dilema is I don't know how to remover the bolt from the action, I've learned how to break down the barrel an front end but have found the bolt hard to extract for a thorough cleaning back in that area an to apply the proper lube, also I want to inspect the bolt buffer pad on the rear area of the bolt unsure of how many rounds have been run thru this weapon its a need to know thing. briarthorn

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Mag-10 Bolt is not an easy part to remove, let alone to try and explain how without showing you. The forend, barrel, and slide extension have to be removed. Next remove the trigger assembly, and shell stop. You will see halfway down the receiver, where the trigger fits, the receiver is wider. Move the slide back to there, and it will lift off the bolt. Be very careful, very sharp receiver edges. Like I said....very difficult to do in person, let alone trying to explain it. Thanx, and good luck!

Les Hovencamp
www.diamondgunsmithing.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Les I was off at deer camp a week and couldn't return a post, I went to the Diamond Gunsmithing web site looks like its coming along will refer to you if I ever need parts, I also own a 37 featherlite an could never part with that a pleasure on long grouse hunts in the fall so lite and absolutely flawless action never had a problem over the years its been a fine shotgun also. As for the Mag 10 I'll follow your procedures and see what I can do with the bolt, heck the guns not showing and signs of dirt or grim but I'm a stickler for absolute in the cleanliness an proper lube too much so if you'd ask my wife. I had a slight problem with Mag 10 earlier this duck season it didn't hit the primer hard enough to set off a round, it only happen once I did get that shell to fire after monkeying around with the action an a quick stripping of the forend, barrel etc. to see what an why that happened. Well not sure what happened there but the first season of duck went without another hitch, the Mag 10 function an cycled flawlessly so I'm at a loss with that misfire. Well thank you Les I'll run thru the instructions they don't seem too bad and I'll take note of the sharp areas in there, your correct its usually a lot easier to show someone rather then the written explanation you did great, I believe with your years an knowledge in this field taking this firearm down to a pile of screws and metal parts wouldn't be much of a problem for you, I'm leaning that way "roger" hey ok bud thanks a million an I'll keep you posted if I know of any or need any Ithaca repairs or parts, Thank you sir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I wasn't aware of Remington buying out the patent from Ithaca but its probably a good thing, the Mag 10 is a great gun an now with the Remingtons name it should be around for awhile. Thanks for the info I'll look into getting a manual from Remington appreciate heads up on the SP-10 I'll Google it Hunterriver. Regards briarthorn 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts