Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a Ithaca model 37, 20 ***** shotgun from my grandfather. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it was mfg'd. the serial # is 2522XX. It is 6 digits. Also since U'm a new shotgunner, what's the typical shell capacity? Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
The standard shell capacity was 5. 4 in the magazine tube and 1 in the chamber. Someone will soon give you a year of manufacture I'm sure of. I'm guessing late 1940's.

What condition is it in? I have a late 40's 20ga myself that I restored that is one fine smooth shotgun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's in good shape. I plan to take it to a gun shop and have them go over it before i take it for a spin. the pump slide has some wear on it where the finish is worn to the metal. is this normal for a pump action shotgun of this age?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The wear you described is normal for a shotgun that age. All my action bars and magazine tubes are worn like yours. If your not satisfied with your local gunshop after there go over, check out Diamond Gunsmithing. Les the owner frequents here from time to time and is a retired gunsmith at Ithaca Gun Company. He is honest with quick service that is reasonably priced. Sounds like your grandfather left you a very nice shotgun.

Wags

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.